Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: XP Problems with Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2  (Read 1265 times)

Offline spanners

XP Problems with Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2
« on: March 13, 2004, 10:34 »
Hi people,

I am new to this forum and was told about it from a friend.

I have been having a problem with a new pc that i built and i can't resolve it.

1st the spec.

Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro 2
1 Gb Corsair 333mhz ddr memory
120Gb Seagate S.A.T.A 7200 hard drive
Pioneer 106 dvd-r writer
3.5" fdd
Radeon 9600XT graphics card
Windows XP Home edition.

Problem:

At first there was a problem installing winxp, but resolved that. Now i am getting intermittent b.s.o.d (blue screens of death) and reboots the errors are varied but 0e,od, and d1 errors. I have applied all the updates that i can find and i have the latest bios from Gigabyte.

There isn't much installed on the pc at the moment, office 2003,newsreactor and nis 2004.

The problem is starting to drive me a little crazy and i would appreciate the help in resolving the problem.

Many thanks for any replies.

Spanners.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:XP Problems with Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 10:43 »
Hi Spanners, and  

Hopefully a real techie will be along to help you soon, but in the meantime, could it be possible you have contracted the MS Blaster virus while doing your updates?  I found that the virus gets in within seconds of going online, usually before you can get the patch.  What I do now is keep the patch on a floppy, and install it on a new machine before going online.

Other than that, it could be a hardware problem - something overheating, or not seated correctly, perhaps?  Are the BSODs completely random?

As I said, hopefully someone will be able to help you properly soon.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline spanners

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 11:07 »
Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the possibility of having a virus. I have checked the system with nis/nav 2004, but apart from the odd virus trying to get through (which nav picks up) my system is clean.

The BSOD's are random.  If asked i will supply a copy of my event log which might make things a little clearer.

In the Event Log after a reboot i get the following:
Event Type:   Information
Event Source:   Save Dump
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1001
Date:      13/03/2004
Time:      05:34:56
User:      N/A
Computer:   ALAN-810I8BKMSF
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000004e (0x0000008f, 0x0003141a, 0x00000fd2, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031304-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Hope this might help.

I also get controller errors in there.  The motherboard and hdd are brand new and the hdd passes the seagate diagnostic with no fault found. The hdd is sata on a sil 3512 controller.

Thanks

Spanners (Alan)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 11:17 »
Hope this might help.

Doesn't help me at all, Alan!  ;D  Saturday mornings are a bit quite on here usually.  I think most of our techies are being dragged round the shops by other halves   ;)  but I'm sure someone will be able to help you later on.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 11:58 »
I'm not a techie either spanners but my son recently built a computer and had exactly the same problem as yourself.  It turned out that he had contracted the Blaster worm immediately he connected to the Internet.  As Simon has suggested, I think you should download the fix and do a virus scan with your computer in safe mode.  If that doesn't cure it then at least you will have exhausted that possibility and one of the techies can progress the problem for you.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 12:16 »
Can't help but notice that you haven't mentioned which processor you are running. You wouldn't be trying to overclock it would you?

(I'd mention that as the rest of the equipment you have there are prime OC material)

hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline spanners

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 14:26 »
:-[

Sorry the cpu is a XP2600+ AMD i have tried running it at 166Mhz and currently running it at 133Mhz to see if that stabalizes the problem.  I will let see how that goes.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum