Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc restarts  (Read 865 times)

Offline tower.1963

pc restarts
« on: April 21, 2004, 13:14 »
Hello all,
        Back again with another problem on another computer.About a week ago computer started restarting all by itself,constantly!!.On intial start,starts normally usual screens fans turning etc,hdd/dvd/cd leds on, can get as far as desktop,even into help and support,then the restarting begins after about 2-3 mins.It`s consistant in that it does the same in safe mode and BIOS.Am thinking mobo,cpu or psu.System is XP2200 generic psu 350w,1024mb pc2100,40gb,asus a7v266, hdd,cdrw,dvdrom,running win xp + sp1.It is water cooled but not oced & never has been.Looking forward to your replies.
Regards paul t

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:pc restarts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 13:36 »
Its a bit of a long shot as its been around for a while now but have you checked for the MS Blaster worm ?
Read this for information about it and how to deal with it :

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

If its not that then I would untick the Automatically Restart box after system failure in the System Properties/Advanced/Start up and Recovery, click on settings and the option is in that part  :)

Offline tower.1963

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 17:10 »
thanx for prompt reply sandra,don`t think it is blaster worm as Windows,Anti virus,spybot and adaware are all up to date,won`t let me undo auto restart,says something about admin setting which I can`t get to in time before pc restarts.Still restarting in BIOS as well.About to change psu will advise any progress.

Offline tower.1963

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 20:09 »
hopefully......sorted,changed psu with old one from parts bin and....it only worked.Seems to be running ok.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 20:49 »
:lol:  Stranger things have happened!  Hope it continues OK for you.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum