Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Server software required?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Ian

Server software required?
« on: April 07, 2004, 22:30 »
Following on from the sound advice you all gave in the thread 'Setting up new office network... ', I'm wondering if I'll need to run something such as Microsoft Windows 2000 Server.

There will be up to 12 laptops coming in and out - with 3 of those daily and the others periodically. Unlikely to be more than 8 at once.

All we'll be doing is sharing an ADSL connection and files across applications such as Word and Excel via a wireless network. Will XP be sufficient?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Server software required?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 23:09 »
XPs own network wizard should run it all for you Ian.
You would only need either MS Server or a server program running under XP if you wanted to use it as a server to computers that were on the WAN side of your network eg if you had another branch of your office in another location and not on your LAN  :)

Adept

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 07:23 »
You will only need to invest in a server if security is important to you, you have more than one user per PC or you need to run server-based applications (e.g. SMTP server, SQL database server).

The main issue is security. If you have many users per computer, you will need to set up profiles for each user on each PC. This can be time consuming. A server will give you a centralised user administration function.

Another advantage of a server program it is optimised for sharing files. It doesn't sound like your users will be transferring files at a rate where a server would help.

If you do decide to invest in a server, have a look at the Microsoft Small Business Server product. This is the standard Windows 2003 Server software, bundled with a good integrated firewall and Exchange email server software.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 11:35 »
Ok - thanks for the advice.

If the laptop users wanted to access the main sever remotely, how does one go about doing this. Someone mentioned 'laplink'.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 20:24 »

If the laptop users wanted to access the main sever remotely, how does one go about doing this. Someone mentioned 'laplink'.

Depends what they want to do.

Laplink gives you the facility to take control of the server remotely. I suspect all you want to be able to do is transfer files to and from the server.

To do this properly, you will need an ADSL router with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) built in e.g. Vigor 2600 range. As long as your server is on and the router is connected to the 'net, your users can dial in to the router across the Internet and transfer files as if they were connected to your network. Alternatively the Small Business Server product I mentioned earlier has full VPN capability.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 21:21 »
I use WS_FTP Server Pro running in XP, that would do what you need Ian, if you didnt want to have to learn how Server 2003 works  :)

Adept

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 08:23 »

I use WS_FTP Server Pro running in XP, that would do what you need Ian, if you didnt want to have to learn how Server 2003 works  :)

But would his users want to learn how to use FTP Sandra? Not everyone is as technically minded as you are remember ... :P

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 12:58 »
Even Serenity managed to use it the other day so its not that hard  ;)

It also works over IE but doesnt have the resume feature that an FTP prog usually has if the connection drops for some reason  :)

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 19:32 »
Thanks Sandra and Adept for the input8).

Sandra - you're right I don't want to have to learn how the server stuff works :-\, and I definitely don't want a team of ppl all FTPing :P.

As it's still unclear exactly what the the requirements of this network are going to be, I'll decide not to decide right now. ;D

I'll be back...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 19:46 »
Well Ian, I managed to set up the WS_FTP server pro under XP quite easily, never have done one before apart from a brief look at XP pros built in server application which seemed much more complicated.
I use a free FTP program available from here :

http://www.seagullsoftware.com/products/free_ftp.html

This is a very quick to set up and easy to use FTP program which I used to use for transferring content to my webspace and which most people with access to my server now use.
To set it up, all it needs is the server address or IP and the persons log in name and password.
Then its simply a case of dragging files from the left window to the right window to upload files to the server or from the right window to the left one to download from the server to the individuals pc  :)

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 14:27 »
That sounds like a reasonable solution Sandra. I'll give it a try except I'm having a problem installing it. I'll keep trying...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 15:06 »
One thing to bear in mind for using FTP on your WAN side is that you will need a static IP or a program that will track a dynamic one for you when it changes.
My IP is a "sticky" dynamic one so I shouldnt have a problem as it hasnt changed since the day I got BB but just incase I have a free domain name and a free IP tracking program from here :

www.dynu.com

I havent looked into the terms and conditions for commercial useage as I am only using it on a home basis not a commercial one.  :)

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 16:51 »
OK, I finally got Seagull FTP installed.
I also registered our domain with Dynu. I can't go any further at the moment because I'm not based at the office and need to be there to get all the techy info (IP Address etc).

Once again - I'll be back...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 18:32 »
Did you get the Dynu Basic Client prog as well to track your IP addy to the domain name in case you have a dynamic IP Ian  ???

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 15:19 »
Not yet Sandra - I've still not been into the office yet...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum