Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Display/Graphics Card Problem?  (Read 958 times)

Offline kevinho

Display/Graphics Card Problem?
« on: August 15, 2004, 02:51 »
I have a Geforce fx 5200 ultra graphics card which has always been problematic in as much that it would take me sometimes up to 4 restarts to get to the log on screen and not be met with a jumble of coloured oblongs or absolutely nothing but a black screen and a clicking noise.

But today it has completely refused to work at all. It had the latest drivers (version 61.77) but has refused to work with them although it did before today. The only way i can get my display to work today is to get into safe mode uninstall the driver restart, reinstall the driver from disc that came with card, (driver version 4.4.0.3) and its ok again until i restart.

I then get the same problem garbled or black screen and clicking noise. And i have to repeat the above in safe mode again.

???   ???

Any ideas?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Display/Graphics Card Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 03:09 »
Is it an AGP or a PCI card Kevin ?
If its a PCI one then try a different slot.
If its an AGP remove it and replace it checking its seated correctly and if there is a PCI card in the adjoining slot move it to a different PCI one, if you have a spare slot  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 03:10 »
if changing the slot doesn't correct the problem.... ive looked for reviews on this card and so far ive found nothing but good things about it straight out of the box. The chances of you having a defective card are fairly high. I suggest if you have the receipt that you return the card and exchange it for another, or if the warranty is still good return it to the manufacturer for a replacement

Offline kevinho

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 03:16 »
its an AGP card. I'll try and take it out and put it back now Sandra if i can find my screwdrivers!

Offline kevinho

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 03:35 »
Well took it out and replaced it and there is no change. Ah well looks like a new graphics card then?

Offline kevinho

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 08:32 »
Thanks for you help. I have replaced the card and everything is working perfectly again :thanks:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum