Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: disconnecting bband  (Read 1265 times)

Offline jon996

disconnecting bband
« on: February 07, 2005, 16:28 »
hey.

one of my mates has got bband and it randomly just disconnects :-\. i dont have a clue why. it is all wired up correctly...cud it be a microfilter thats going?

jon<<
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:disconnecting bband
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 16:40 »
Probably a BT line fault Jon  :(

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 16:46 »
jon,

check your ADSL exchange capacity here http://www.support.ndo.com/servlets/adslcreport I have had the odd connection drop. In fact I had one only last week, my ISP had no issues, so I put it down to BT. It dropped and refused to connect again for about an hour, my exchange is at "Amber"
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline jon996

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 16:47 »
shall i phone them up and ask them to test the line? shall i phone bt or his isp?

cheeeeers >>jon

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 16:52 »
I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think your ISP has to put the ADSL fault test request into BT. As BT reckon, they would be mowen out with false requests that were infact a modem installation, filter, firewall or ISP issue.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline jon996

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 17:39 »
ok thnks everyone ;D

Offline jon996

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 16:39 »
rite it seems when ever someone rings my home phone the internet will disconnect...he is using  the microfilter but no phone is connected to the other port? could the mircofilter hav gone? i have also done everything on the tiscali website

:-\jon <<

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 16:53 »
Hiya Jon,

Have a fiddle with the 'Call Waiting' flag in your connection settings and see if that does the trick.  Then give the Fire Brigade a call.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 03:07 »
If a phone isnt attached to the socket where his modem or router is connected then it doesnt need to be connected to the filter Jon.
The filter is to stop the ADSL line interfering with the phone, not the other way round. Any phone that is plugged in to any socket must be connected via a filter  :)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 03:30 »
Sandra, I'm not sure I understood correctly what you're tellig here.

I know that, any telephone or machine connected to the same telephone line (same telephone number) must have the filter first, whether that socket is the same of the modem, or another one, which maybe is in another room.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 03:41 »
Joudi, the signal coming down the line of the ADSL part of the telephone line is in a digital format and creates a noise that would at best be unpleasant to hear while using a telephone, which is on an anlogue line, and at worst would make a conversation impossible, unless the filter is seperating the noise generated by the digital part from the analogue part of the line.
Therefore the modem or router can be plugged directly into any phone socket without using a filter.
Each telephone on that line however has to be connected via a filter even if the pc is not switched on and using the modem/router as the ADSL line continously sends data (which is noisy) to and from the telephone exchange  :)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 03:58 »

Therefore the modem or router can be plugged directly into any phone socket without using a filter.

That's not the case here in France, Sandra.    :)
object width="450" height="150">

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum