Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HELP!! PC Boot and Beep Problem  (Read 827 times)

Offline father_ted9t9

HELP!! PC Boot and Beep Problem
« on: February 09, 2005, 11:46 »
Hi Guys,

I have a problem which started 2 days ago with my PC. I Have a MSI motherboard(MS6787),  P4 3.06ghz processor with 512meg of ram and use a Nvidia GEFORCE 4 video card.

I Had anexternal Hard Drive which went down on me so i removed the hard disk from the caseing of the external drive and hooked it up to the ide interface in myu computer as a secondary slave. When i powered on my computer refused to boot just emitting a single long beep which breaks every 10 secs for a second. And no Video output signal going to monitor

I Have tried Resetting the CMOS, Reseating all cards, Trying to turn on without ide cables attached, without Video card attached and also with different memory in. But still nothing. Does anyone have any idea what i can do next? Is there another jumper setting maybe im missing out on apart from the Cmos reset?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:HELP!! PC Boot and Beep Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 13:51 »
Hi FT and :welcome:

What exactly happened when the ext hard drive "went down" if its failed in such a way that its caused a power drain or a surge when connected to the IDE cable directly then it may have caused internal damage to the mobo or something else  :(
Hopefully that wont be the case here.
Which BIOS does your MSI board use, different types of BIOS make different beep error codes ?
Have you tried disconnecting all cards, except the AGP, unless your mobo also has onboard graphics, if it does connect up on the onboard and remove the AGP one as well, and all the IDE and floppy drives and seeing if you can access the bios without getting the beeps ?

Offline father_ted9t9

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 14:01 »
Hi Sandra, Thanks for the Prompt Reply!! ;D

Basically the wrong output of power was put into the external drive(20v instead of 5v) and there was a spark and the external drive died. I Got a new Laptop also and the power supplys had the same connector unfortunatly and was a genuine mistake made.

Ive tried everything you have asked and even with noting attached it is still giving the same beep. I have been on to MSI and they have yet to get back to me. I Think the bios used is Award Bios or AMI i cant find my board on site. At this stage i think it may be processor or board:( Any other ideas? Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 14:25 »
I would have thought that it was GFX or memory but I cant find any info about the beeps as you describe them  :(

I had a look on here for some of the more common beep codes :

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Like you I cant find your mobo on the MSI site either so I assume its something like a Tiny pc, is it  ???

Offline father_ted9t9

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 14:34 »
I Got it custom built in Dublin for me to my specs so thought it would be listed, but msi say it was an OEM Motherboard so obviously the shop god batch made up. Checked The link but no beep similar to mine:( Arrrgh im looking at leaving it in to a shop now:(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum