Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dimensions of hard drives  (Read 697 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Dimensions of hard drives
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:42 »
I was just about to order an external firewire HD caddy when i realised they came in different sizes.  2.5 "  3.5 "  and 5.25 ".    I assume that the measurement applies to the WIDTH of the device, so presumably a conventional desktop hard drive will require a 5.25 " caddy and the smaller sizes are for laptop hard drives.  Can anyone confirm this or tell me i'm totally wrong  :roll:

EDIT...on reflection is the 5.25 " for dvd rom/rw   and 3.5 " for desktop drives and the 2.5 " for laptop drives.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:52 »
Just to answer my own question....5.25 for optical drives, 3.5 for hard drives  :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 13:12 »
Yes youre correct about the optical, desktop and laptop drives Dave.
I learned to my cost last year that laptop hard drives while all being 2.5 inches wide, vary in thickness, I think there are 3 different thicknesses  :(
I fitted a 10.5mm drive into an 8mm version and broke the floppy drive as I closed the case back up  :shock:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 15:30 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

I fitted a 10.5mm drive into an 8mm version and broke the floppy drive as I closed the case back up  :shock:

I think the whole thing would have gone out of the window if it had been me  :blush:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum