Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Detecting proxy settings...  (Read 722 times)

Offline thegallery

Detecting proxy settings...
« on: August 30, 2005, 15:46 »
Hi, for some reason every time a fire up Internet Explorer there is about a 10 second delay while the message "detecting proxy settings..." appears in the status bar. I'm not sure why this is happening, and it is a new phenomena. I was at a hotel as last weekend were I signed into a new network, and I wondered if this changed the settings somehow?

The proxy settings are found, and I am able to surf the Internet with no problem, but I would like to get rid of this 10 second delay. Even if I open a new Internet Explorer window while already connected, I still have the same message and delay.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 16:47 »
I don't think you actually need proxy settings for IE, unless you are on a network, do you?  Have you tried going into Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings and (if ticked) untick where is says about using a proxy server?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline thegallery

worked !
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 16:55 »
Cool, thanks very much. I did what you said and went to my LAN settings  and unclicked where it said "the tech proxy settings". I guess when I connected to the hotel's new network it automatically set it up to look for the proxy settings. Everything is back to normal now; thanks again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 18:18 »
No problem - glad it's sorted.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum