Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Workgroup pc's can't see eachother  (Read 814 times)

Offline Jaminxz

Workgroup pc's can't see eachother
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:19 »
Hi guys,

If anyone read my posts in "Technical q&a's" about setting up my new home network, well we've done it now but have some problems with it!

After doing some research it would appear that it is the age old problem of workgroup pc's not being able to see eachother, but despite reading almost every article i could find about it none of the solutions helped me!

right currently we have 4 pc's, J L Jen & E connected to a switch, which is connected to a router.

We cann all access the internet

We can all ping eachother

If i right click on "My network places" and click "search for computers" i can find L,Jen but not E.

In my network places when i click search for workgroup computers i get the message "House is not accesible.You might not have permission to use this network resource, contact administraitor etc"

We are all using xp home and i know there's loads of articles on this on the net but none i have tried work. I've tried all the obvious things like changing everyones LAN name to Home and running the network wizard and such but none of this works, please help.

Thanks

Jaminxz

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 13:13 »
Ok, you have probably done some or all of these but the first thing that I would check would be that they are all the same workgroup name, usually MSHOME (case sensitive, I think).
Then disconnect the router from the phone socket (for securety and safety reasons), we are working on the LAN here so dont need to be on line at this point, then disable all the firewalls one each pc, including XPs own built in one.
Then check that you can see all the pcs that are in the MSHOME workgroup on each pc.
If you can now see them then configure the firewalls on all the pcs to enable the LAN IP range of addresses.

As long as you ran the wizard and selected the File and Printer Sharing option on each one then it should work.

99% of not seeing the other pcs in workgroups is a firewall setting.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 20:32 »
I have a terrible feeling here of De Ja Vous here.

I hope jaminxz doesn't spend 3 days and night trying to figure it out like I did.

:wink:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 23:09 »
Quote from: "Lona"

I hope jaminxz doesn't spend 3 days and night trying to figure it out like I did.

You should have rung your private helpline earlier to save you all the hassle Lona    :wink:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 23:47 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Quote from: "Lona"

You should have rung your private helpline earlier to save you all the hassle Lona    :wink:

You're right. :wink:

There's no point of keeping a dog and barking yourself  :bad:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum