Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: stopping...hardware or software....?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline POSTMAN477

stopping...hardware or software....?
« on: November 22, 2005, 21:57 »
computer runs fine for about 5 mins then keeps slowing up and programs not responding...??where do i start ran my virus and spy checks ok...?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 22:54 »
When it starts to slow down, Ctrl+Alt+Del to view your Task Manager.  Have a look and see what the Performance tab says.  If your CPU is running up to 100%, then go back to the Processes tab, and see what's using all your resources.  It could be a program locked up, or it could be spyware.  Try highighting it and End Process, which should free up your CPU again.  What Spyware scanners are you using?  We usually recommend Ad Aware and Spybot S&D.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline fish4772

still slow
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 17:30 »
yes i looked and theres loads of tasks running....not sure what they are as ive only got the web being used.....? its using 100 percent ?any ideas

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 18:17 »
There are always lots of tasks running in the background but before we look at those, does this problem occur when you are looking at one website in particular?  I had exactly the same thing happen two years ago when I was hooked on Big Brother and kept visiting their official website.  100% CPU usage and the computer would grind to a halt.  I suspect that it was something to do with Flash.  As soon as I came out of that website the CPU would start to recover.

If it happens with all websites, then try x-rayPC which will look for and identify malicious programs running in the registry

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 18:41 »
Have you changed your job?  You were a Postman this morning, now you're a fish!   :laugh:

Following on from Clive's suggestion, can you tell us which browser you are using?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline fish4772

never been a postman really just got 2 nicknames on here....
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 15:34 »
well it seems to be okay re started my comp back to previous date...3 weeks ag..so far so good ill ley you know...cheers guys

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum