Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: memory for ibm net vista  (Read 968 times)

Offline peruvianpisco

memory for ibm net vista
« on: January 30, 2006, 20:21 »
Hello
I tried to put 2 Spectek pc133 256 memory on an ibm netvista which was using a Kingston 128 in order to improve, but it didnīt work, i always thought all a PC needed at  memory slots were if it is pc100 or 133 and simm, dimm, sdram or ddr but i guess IBM as usual is anal retentive and some of that strange stuff of edo, non-parity, cas, etc. is bothering me...what another parameter should i look for to improve ram for this PC?
Thank you in advance
PS i searched here and all internet for answers before bother you
here are 10 types of people, people who thinks in binary and people who doesn`t

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
memory for ibm net vista
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 20:32 »
You could try http://www.crucial.com/uk/ who guarantee to provide the correct memory for your motherboard.  Even if you don't buy from them, that should at least tell you what you need.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
memory for ibm net vista
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 20:39 »
SDRAM is very strange stuff.
I have had sticks that havent worked at all or windows has only seen them as 128 mb for a 256 or 256 for a 512.

Some mobos seem to work with almost any ram but others will only work correctly with one type.
Parity, non parity, EEC or non EEC, latency speeds and whether they are pc 100 or 133 doesnt seem to make a difference  :?
Its just one of those weird pc things that some ram works with one mobo and some wont.

The only way to be certain that a stick of ram will work is to buy it from Crucial, after using their mobo checker on their site.

Even then a friend recently got a stick of 256mb off them to add to one of 128mb.
The pc wouldnt boot up with both sticks in, no matter which slots they were in.
It would work with just its original 128mb or with just the new 256mb ram, but not with them both together  :?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum