Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Trojan Downloader  (Read 1228 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Trojan Downloader
« on: April 18, 2006, 15:06 »
AVG picked up this on Michael's computer this morning:
AboxInst_int13[1].exe
Trojan Downloader.Generic.RYN
C/Documents and settings/mike/localSettings/Temporary Internet files/
Content.IE5/OPBLGH31/AboxInst_int13[1].exe

Michael said that AVG got rid of it, but from what I have read, I have my doubts. :roll:

Anyone else had this?
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Trojan Downloader
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 15:12 »
I havent heard of that one but if AVG has picked it up then its probably ok.

The ones to worry about are the ones that AVG doesnt pick up or notify you about.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Trojan Downloader
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 15:18 »
If AVG said it removed it, then unless it comes back, I think you'll have to take it's word for it, MB, although one I had recently managed to lodge itself in the System Restore folder, which meant it kept coming back.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

If the trojan reappears, MB, disable System Restore, which clears the hidden folder, then run AVG to remove the infected file.  Disabling System Restore will remove the potential to roll back the machine to a previous state, but is the safest way to remove a threat contained therein.

To disable System Restore, right click your My Computer desktop icon, and select Properties, then the System Restore tab. Untick the box, to switch off System Restore.  Don't forget to enable it again, once you have cleaned your machine.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Trojan Downloader
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 15:22 »
Thankyou to both of you, I'll wait and see what it comes up with tommorrow when he turns it on. Probably something else. :laugh:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum