Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: You're not going to believe this...  (Read 2243 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
You're not going to believe this...
« on: May 04, 2006, 14:49 »
... but today I went to a careers advisor who came up with the suggestion that I should be a computer network manager!  I know nothing about computer networks or, indeed, most of the technical aspects of computing, although I do enjoy using them.

It's been suggested that I should go back to college and study either C&G7262 (which is a 15 week part-time course) or the Cisco Networking Academy Programme (which is a 1 year part-time course).

Any thoughts, advice or guidance would be enormously appreciated!

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 16:10 »
Do you have to pay for the courses yourself Gill?  I am certain that you would have no problem in learning the work so you have nothing to fear.  I reckon it's a future proof career!

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 19:38 »
Hi Clive

Yes, I'll have to pay for the courses myself  :(  .  Never mind.

I'm a bit concerned that I've been pointed towards some part time courses when I could easily fit in a full time course.  A friend has just suggested that I should try the Microsoft  Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server 2003 course, so I'm going to investigate that route also.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 20:26 »
The MCSE course seems the way to go Gill.  Was it the career advisor at the Job Centre you saw?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 20:42 »
Best of luck with it, Gill, you could be the next Bill Gates!  :gofor:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 23:55 »
Quote from: "Clive"
The MCSE course seems the way to go Gill.  Was it the career advisor at the Job Centre you saw?

No, it wasn't anyone at the Job Centre.  Job Centres are very much the option of last resort for me.  When my other half was made redundant from his job as a machinist at MG Rover last year it quickly became very apparent how useless Job Centres are.  He took himself over to an organisation called 'Connexions' who administered some tests and suggested he should consider care work.  Care work!  He couldn't believe it at first, but he gave it a bash and found he loved it.  In fact, come September he'll be commencing a full-time foundation course in nursing and hoping to eventually qualify as a RMN working with Alzheimer sufferers.

So our income is going to drop in the autumn and I've got to find a way to balance the books or I'll be back onto the streets of Balsall Heath.  Hence the reason for me visiting Connexions today, having no idea about what sort of employment I was looking for.  They ran me through some tests and all the results suggested some form of computer work.  Now I've just got to decide how to go about getting trained - as I'm sure everyone here knows, my technical skills are rather meagre.  Nevertheless, I'm off to talk to some more people over the next few days and find out if it's a realistic proposition.

Gill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 00:44 »
I dont envy you having to study for something again Gill  :(

Is there no money to be made from your woodworking hobby ?

A guy round here some years back made quite a good living out of something that youd find very easy to do.

He made wooden plaques which had letters cut out of it for childrens names, the letters then could be used like a toy and an educational decorative thing.
He used to have a symbol as well something like a train or a car for a boy or an animal or something like that for a girl.

He used to stain the letters different colours and the quality of the finish was superb.
I dont think it took him long to make one but you had to order one about 3 weeks in advance and he charged quite a lot for them.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:43 »
Hi Sandra

I understand what you're saying, but for me woodwork is a hobby, a way to unwind.  Okay, so I'm pretty serious about my hobby and it's been known to make the odd buck here and there, but I think a lot of the fun would be lost if I had to rely on it to make a living.  Added to which, it really isn't very satisfying just cutting out letters and making signs.  It's also time consuming and not terribly remunerative.  Although the plaques you mentioned may have seemed expensive, I doubt the manufacturer made much money.

Gill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 13:08 »
Quote from: "GillD"
Hi Sandra

I understand what you're saying, but for me woodwork is a hobby, a way to unwind.

I know what you mean Gill, I sometimes regretted not being able to follow my original plan of becoming a commercial pilot but preferred flying as a hobby and not something that I had to do to earn a crust.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 00:38 »
Well, personally I'd go for the Cisco course Gill.  Mind you, after I was demobbed I worked in a timber-yard for a few weeks before finding something a little more fulfilling.

For what it's worth, one of the more abiding memories I have of job-seeking concerns the time I signed on with an office recruiting agency and was grilled about what I was good at.

Once I mentioned 'Spreadsheets' they sat me down at a PC which ran a series of tests and asked what level I felt might be appropriate for me to start at.  I asked what the options were, then chose 'Advanced' and proceeded to rattle through the 20+ minute test in 7 minutes with a score of 100 percent - to the amazement of the agency staff - several of whom had by then had gathered to watch.

"We've never seen anyone do that so well before!" I was told.  "Unfortunately, we don't currently have anything suitable for someone with your particular basket of skills though.  However, we do need somone to help move furniture in an office relocation next week."

Call me picky, but I never did take them up on their kind offer.  I pray that you'll fare infinitely better.  :wink:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 07:49 »
An update.

On Friday I visited the local college.  The computer networking lecturer wasn't there so I spoke to another member of staff who suggested it would be a good idea to learn about general computer hardware before looking at networks.

I mentioned that I was interested in the Microsoft course and he said that although the college didn't offer that course he was familiar with it. He said that the great advantage of the course was that 75% of all commercial hardware in the UK uses MS systems. However, the disadvantage is that the course has been adversely affected in the last 24 to 18 months by cheats who had been cribbing the exam answers off the internet. As a result, Microsoft had clamped down on the exams. He claimed that only 22% of those who sat the exam passed it, and they tended to be people who had studied computer hardware and networks elsewhere.

At that point the computer network lecturer entered the room, so I was passed to him. He explained that whilst some knowledge of computer operation was desirable, it was by no means essential to understanding networks. He suggested that I should study the Network+ certification course (OCR level 3) validated by CompTIA which would cover all networks irrespective of vendor. It's a one year part time course costing more than £350 (the latest costs aren't available yet) but I shouldn't have to pay the full amount because I'm not working. I'm also thinking of doing a couple of computer maintenance courses, just for general background knowledge.

The big problem with studying over a year is that it would delay my entry into the job market by another year.  On the other hand, it would give me a more rounded education.

Decisions, decisions...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 10:18 »
Quote from: "GillD"
The big problem with studying over a year is that it would delay my entry into the job market by another year.  On the other hand, it would give me a more rounded education.

That's the catch 22 isn't it?  If it's financially vaiable to take another year out, the course would be another feather in your cap, Gill, but then many firms like to take people on, and train them themselves.  Have you thought about that option?  You might even find a firm who will take you on, and pay for the course.  That said, I haven't been in the job market myself for over 25 years, so I'm probably not the best person to offer advice.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum