Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Email Notifier.  (Read 1205 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Email Notifier.
« on: August 17, 2007, 13:45 »
It seems that ever since my computer updated this morning, I can no longer use my email notifier.

I know I've posted about this before, it was no longer notifying me when I received an email, but at least I could click on different email addresses in it, instead of signing in and out all the time.  >:(

It did the major updates earlier in the week and the one this morning was Windows Defender I think. Is there a way of uninstalling the last update to see if I can get it to work?  :dunno:

Oh, and the email notifier is incorporated in a Torrentz ToolBar  http://www.torrent-search-bar.com/setup.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Email Notifier.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 14:29 »
First, you could have a look in Windows Defender and see if it's blocked it.  Don't ask me where to look, as I don't use it myself, but I think there's a section somewhere to allow / disallow programs, or an 'ignore' list, or something like that.  The other alternative is to temporarily uninstall Windows Defender, as this would be easier than trying to uninstall the Windows Update.  Do you have any other firewall / security software that could be blocking your torrent bar?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 14:55 »
I'm not sure if Defender is blocking anything, it does have an allow section, but there is nothing in it. I was going to put the email notifier in it, but I'm not sure what name to put there?

I'm not really sure which email notifier I have, I'm a little confused, as there is this one as well and I'm sure if it is the same as the one in the Torrent Toolbar, which I posted earlier?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4490

And I have comodo, but it has been running the same for ages.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 14:58 »
Actually maybe its hotmail as well, it's been really weird tonight, when I delete an email it signs me out and takes me back to a blank sign in page, bloody annoying.
It is Hotmail, as I can access Gmail and Yahoo through the notifier. How can I fix hotmail, I have 2 address that I use and I go between them all the time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 15:22 by mistybear »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 16:13 »
Well, you know my feelings on all these toolbars.  Maybe they are acting against one another?  I would certainly only have one mail checker in action at any one time.  The Hotmail issue could be that they (Hotmail) have changed the cookie, or maybe your cookies have been deleted.  Allow the Hotmail cookie in Firefox (Tools > Options > Privacy > Exceptions, then type hotmail.com and click Allow), and see if that sorts it out.  As for the others, try looking in Comodo firewall for both of the toolbars under Applications (?), remove them, then next time it asks, allow them again.  Can't think of anything else to try at the moment.  It's much easier if you use a mail client, such as Thunderbird, but if you use the free Webmail services, most of them don't allow POP3 without charging a fee for it, unfortunately.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:13 »
Yes, I know Simon.  ;D

So you will be pleased to know that I uninstalled it, even after trying your suggestions, I couldn't get it to work.  :dunno:

But being stubborn in wanting a notifier, as I really hate typing, I installed Webmail Notifier....https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/4490

And it works............ for now at least. ;)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 05:25 »
There are several reasons why I use trillian for my instant message client. One is it notifies me of new mail in any of my email accounts. It supports aol, irc, icq, yahoo, and msn. I even think the new version supports google and several others.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum