Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: cyberhawh2  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
cyberhawh2
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 22:22 »
All my other antispyware stuff was obviously doing a good job by preventing it from installing in the first place....  :whistle:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
cyberhawh2
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 22:26 »
It's amazing just how the anti-spyware community get soooo excited about practically any program they come across.  My take on it is that if they stuck with simple tried, tested and (most importantly) reliable methods of staying safe online they wouldn't have to spend so much time looking for yet additional ways of securing their systems.

I run Zone Alarm Free Edition, AVG Free Edition, Adaware Free, CC Cleaner (free) Spywareblaster (free) and Xoftspy - nothing else.  I also have Windows Updates permanently turned off and System Restore permanently disabled.  In seven years of a home internet connection I have never had a single virus or other malware on my computer.  I update and run my anti virus and spyware programs once a week and nothing has EVER been found.

Have I been lucky?  I don't think so.  I believe the main reason I have NEVER had a problem is because I have never used Internet Explorer while connected to the internet.  I used Opera from 1999 until earlier this year and am now on Firefox.

Says it all, really.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
cyberhawh2
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:09 »
Well, I wish I hadn't mentioned this now, and have uninstalled it myself.  :blush2:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
cyberhawh2
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 06:59 »
Quote from: "Simon"
What surprises me is that it seems to be quite popular among the anti-spyware comminuty, but I would have thought that the fact that it sends information about your PC goes against all anti-spyware ethics.  :|

I should go and have a lie down now, Dave!  :laugh:

Having calmed down from imminent spontaneous combustion i can now feel a bit more charitable about this product.  (but not much).  To summarise you are placing your trust in them about the info being relayed to all and sundry which goes against the grain somewhat for me to do it knowingly.  However the main annoyance was the difficulty in uninstalling.  I suppose they would argue that its a security feature but I tried the method described in their own official manual (ie add/remove) and that failed. Perhaps its still in a very beta stage  :roll:

I think i'll stick to playing solitaire for the rest of the week.  :D

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
cyberhawh2
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 07:04 »
Quote from: "chorleydave"

I
Have I been lucky?  I don't think so.  I believe the main reason I have NEVER had a problem is because I have never used Internet Explorer while connected to the internet.  I used Opera from 1999 until earlier this year and am now on Firefox.

Says it all, really.

Spot on Dave. How did i get my spy sheriff/brave sentry virus ??....Firefox was closing down each time i tried to access a forum  so i used IE view on the site.  Big mistake .

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
cyberhawh2
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 08:07 »
Quote from: "chorleydave"

Says it all, really.

Quote from: "daveeb"
Spot on Dave. How did i get my spy sheriff/brave sentry virus ??....Firefox was closing down each time i tried to access a forum  so i used IE view on the site.  Big mistake .

But equally, something should have prevented it from being let loose on your machine, which is where a real-time spyware scanner can be useful - the big question is, which one, out of the many available, to use?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum