Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Astronauts Flew Drunk  (Read 703 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Astronauts Flew Drunk
« on: July 26, 2007, 19:46 »
I must admit if i was going to be at the tip of a rocket the size of a skyscraper being blasted off into space i would be tempted to take a swig myself.

Aviation Week is reporting that NASA is poised to release a study of astronaut health that indicates on at least two  occasions, astronauts flew even after flight surgeons said they were too intoxicated to be safe.

The panel, also reported "heavy use of alcohol" by astronauts before launch, within the standard 12-hour "bottle to throttle" rule applied to NASA flight crew members.

The study, due to be released by NASA Friday, was commissioned after the arrest of Astronaut Lisa Nowak.

Nowak is charged with attempted kidnapping and other crimes stemming from her February confrontation with her rival in a romantic triangle, Air Force officer Colleen Shipman. Nowak sprayed pepper spray at Shipman as Shipman drove away, police said.

Nowak is to appear in court for an Aug. 24 hearing to suppress her statement to police on  the night of her arrest.

The report does not mention Nowak or any other astronaut by name, Aviation Week said.

LINK

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Astronauts Flew Drunk
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 20:53 »
Darned right, Bob!

astronauts flew ... too intoxicated to be safe

As if it's a safe game, even when they're sober.  With my dislike of heights, I'd have to be sozzled to even go up the gantry into the rocket, never mind sitting their while some monkey lit the blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 23:07 »
After the Challenger and Columbia disasters, both of which were avoidable, I wouldn't ride on even a bicycle constructed by NASA.  No wonder they are tanked up to the eyeballs!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 00:41 »
Dont forget that NASA sources its components from the cheapest possible supplier  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:34 »
they also dont say when this was... if it was 40 years ago then I reckon it was probably more prevelant
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum