Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Can't view certain websites  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Jo

Can't view certain websites
« on: October 12, 2007, 20:01 »
Hello again,

I'm back again on behalf of my Mum!  Have just spent 2 hours on the phone trying to sort out the problem she is having and am now thoroughly fed up-no way to spend a Friday night! 

A few days ago she spent ages trying (unsuccessfully) to upload a photo to ebay from Picasa.  Since then, she has been unable to log in to ebay and several banking websites.  We tried a couple of system restores and went back a week, but this made no difference.  There was a recent Zonealarm update so I suspected that maybe she'd denied access to something by mistake.  We disable ZA and the websites loaded fine.  I suggested she put Windows Firewall on instead (until I have a chance to visit her) and as soon as that was on, the websites didn't load again.  We switched Windows Firewall off and they still won't load. 

I'm assuming it's a firewall problem although she now can't access the sites even with either firewall off.  What else could it be?  We've run Adaware and Spybot as well as removing temp internet files.

HELP!!!  This is very frustrating.  Have compared various settings with my own PC and looked up lots of stuff on the net but can't work out what's wrong.  :( 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Can't view certain websites
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 20:08 »
Hi Jo,

What browser is she using, and is it just secure websites she can't access?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 20:20 »
She's running the latest internet explorer and as far as I know it's only secure sites-banking and ebay.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 20:36 »
There's lots of things you can try, although what you have said does indicate a firewall problem.  Unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with Zone Alarm, but the first thing I would check is that IE is enabled in the Applications list.  You have to make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open, but if IE is 'allowed', this should be open by default.  One way to fix any uncertainties might be to completely remove and reinstall ZA, which should hopefully reset everything to defaults, and then she will have all the pop-ups again, asking to allow this and that.  Oh, by the way, is she using a router (with a firewall) or an ADSL modem?

She could also try clearing the cache and cookies in IE, which often works wonders.

There is another quick fix, and that would be to get her to install another browser, such as Firefox.  Hopefully that would work 'out of the box', until such time as you can get round to sorting out IE.

Just one more thing - don't have ZA and Windows Firewall on simultaneously, as this can cause problems.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Jo

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 20:49 »
We checked the applications list, but over the phone, so will go round on Sunday to check! May uninstall as you suggested-still reckon she's denied access to something by mistake.

Many thanks Simon...may be back later if all else fails!  Jo x

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 20:58 »
i have had a few problems like this with the new IE

it denied me access to some sites

i had to set all security levels to default and start over again

Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 06:24 »
Just another good reason to use "Firefox", spyware is designed to attack Internet Explorer ;)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:59 »
Although it seems unlikely, this just might be an MTU issue. Jo, do you know what MTU value is being used, and which ISP is involved?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Jo

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 18:05 »
She has uninstalled and reinstalled ZA and still no joy. Her ISP is EFH Broadband (now taken over I think).  I'm afraid I don't know what MTU value is being used-how do I find this out and what should it be? 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 19:05 »
I'm not sure where Rik is coming from re the MTU settings, but I expect he will explain next time he's in.

In the meantime, she could try resetting her IE security settings to defaults.  There's a button to do this in Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab).  See if that help.

I, and many others, would still recommend ditching IE and installing Firefox instead, and this may well be an ideal time to make the switch.  Firefox is much safer and faster then IE, and once she gets used to the layout, I am sure she will agree that it's a far superior browser.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 20:57 »
I would at lest download a browser not based on IE
if for no other reason than as a backup or test browser

firefox  or seamonkey would be best
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 12:15 »
Some sites get unhappy with fragmented packets (tend to be secure sites in particular). Different ISPs require different MTU values to avoid fragmentation, so it's always wise to check that the value in ise isn't fragmenting.

There's a guide here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1904.msg31673#msg31673

With links to the software needed to set MTU/RWIN, together with testing techniques and sites.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Jo

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 23:29 »
Well, you were all right!  Changed the MTU value and all seems well.  Thanks for your help everyone. :thumbs:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum