Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: TV and video sites' popularity soars  (Read 933 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
TV and video sites' popularity soars
« on: November 06, 2007, 17:09 »
People are now more inclined to watch video content on their PCs, according to research.

And in Britain the numbers of people visiting TV, film and video sites is up by 28 per cent in the last year, according to figures from Nielsen Online.

YouTube is the most popular of these sites among Brits, with an audience of 9.4 million. The BBC's TV and film sites are the next most visited, with 6.7 million.

Alex Burmaster of Nielsen Online said: "Whether it's additional content relating to a particular TV programme or actually watching episodes or videos through their computer, we are starting to see a significant spread of entertainment consumption from the so-called 'lean-back' method of TV to the 'lean-forward' method of the PC."

The figures were compiled by monitoring the usage habits of some 45,000 surfers who have voluntarily downloaded a data recorder onto their PCs.

Burmaster related the popularity of TV sites to the recent troubles encountered by TV-links.co.uk.

"It's interesting to note that TV-links.co.uk - the ninth most popular site and, amongst the top ten, second only to YouTube in terms of total audience time - has now been closed after claims it was illegally providing links to download film content and TV shows," he said.

"Whilst the legality of the site is in question, the appetite that people have for watching this type of content online isn't. It is an example of the potential audiences that await media content owners ? particularly when it comes to back catalogues ? if they can just get their content up and available online," said Burmaster.

www.nielsen-online.com
www.youtube.co.uk

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re: TV and video sites' popularity soars
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 20:06 »
I'm not uploading my clips to youtube or google. I tried last night to upload a news clip from the 80s and it rejected it. So, I imagine ill just use vsocial from now on.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum