Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ad Aware  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
Ad Aware
« on: January 21, 2008, 13:31 »
anyone using Ad-Aware SE.....if so did you know about this http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15293   I had problems updating the file definitions recently and when I looked on their site found out its getting phased out for a newer version. Trouble is the new version doesn't get very good reviews so far. You can still update manually.

So for future reference does anyone have any recommendations for good programs in case I decide to ditch this one.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Ad Aware
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 14:23 »
The new version of AdAware is diabolical.  It gives new meaning to the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  Spybot Search and DestroySpybot search and destroy is very good but be sure to download it from the link because there are rogue websites with similar names. 

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 14:29 »
Thanks Clive. I have Spybot already. used them both as sometimes one would miss something and the other would pick it up. Shame about Ad Aware :( 

I guess you tried it then  :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 15:02 »
Sadly yes.    :bawl:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 16:16 »
I would recommend SuperAntiSpyware, which comes in free or Pro varieties.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 20:17 »
You can still happily continue to update your older version of Ad Aware by downloading the zipped Definitions File from AAW's website.

Simply unzip the "defs.ref" file into your main AAW folder, overwriting the existing file.  Then repeat after me, "Bingo!"   ;)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 21:30 »
thats right, had to do that. Thats how I found out about the latest version been crap. followed a few links and stumbled on that post in a forum.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum