Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Frets on Fire...  (Read 2510 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Frets on Fire...
« on: April 23, 2008, 23:29 »
... who says open source doesn't mean wicked games!

Personally I'm a huge guitar hero fan... well acutally my whole house has gotten very into it (I have a Wii in the front room!). Anyway.. want that open source alternative, and not just a s**te one, try Frets on Fire. Frets on Fire is a game of musical skill and fast fingers. It is an open-source clone of the wildly-popular Guitar Hero game. It supports importing Guitar Hero I and Guitar Hero II songs as well as hundreds of songs composed by the community.

Oh it works on windows aswell as linux.

fretsonfire.sourceforge.net

Here is a video to take a look at (from the older version, the newer versions have better graphics, but its all about the gameplay):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5i6SxSAY4Q&feature=related
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Frets on Fire...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 23:48 »
Not sure I get the videos.  Is that what someone has created visually, or was it made from the actual playing?  I like the idea of a Wii guitar hero!  :bubble:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 00:26 »
As a recently born again trainee guitarist I find this type of thing diabolical.
How am I going to become rich and famous as an amazing rock chick guitarist if any kid can play stuff like this on his pc  :crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BERgbdfyE&feature=related

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 00:37 »
I've heard this band are looking for a new guitarist, San, to replace the one in the middle, who's gone into a home.   :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:42 »
By the time I have learned to play it as well as I am hoping to be able to then I will probably be so old that I will need to be in a home myself  ::)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20 »
Not sure I get the videos.  Is that what someone has created visually, or was it made from the actual playing?  I like the idea of a Wii guitar hero!  :bubble:

that's the game!! :-D your play the notes when they come up... its a bit like those dancing games but with a keyboard... for the Wii I have  "guitar"..

not as much fun as a real one but still great when you have people round and a few beers, I'm going to connect this up to my linux machine later... I hope.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16 »
How does that work, Sam?  There are eight notes in an octave (twelve if you include semi-tones) but your guitar only has five positions.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43 »
He only intends to play Status Quo, Gill.  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13 »
it doesn't actually work like a real guitar  :laugh: you press the right buttons that appear on the screen.... on the hard levels you play a note at the same time as a guitarist but its not the right note, it will never make you an actual guitarist but its all good fun  :thumbs:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:59 »
I'd rather have a real guitar!   8-)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38 »
oh you old people  :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 12:49 »
It seems rather like my accordian which I play in the style of Eric Morcambe - all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 13:28 »
:lol:  Rather like my guitar playing.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum