Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Google Knol officially launched  (Read 550 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Google Knol officially launched
« on: July 24, 2008, 15:03 »
Google's Wikipedia rival, Knol, has been officially launched.

Knol is a project to compile an index of learned articles on a variety of topics, which is both searchable and available to surfers for free.

Google first announced the project in December 2007, as it attempted to win back the search traffic it was losing by surfers going direct to Wikipedia.

"The internet is huge, but still a lot of expert knowledge remains untapped," said Juergen Galler, director of Product Management for Google.

However, articles in Knol are bylined rather than anonymous, which Google said is better than Wikipedia's anonymous model.

"Knol provides a way for people to share their expertise with others - and get credit for their contribution. In the same way that books have authors' names right on the cover, knols have authors' names--and links to their other articles - right there on the page," said Galler.

http://knol.google.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Google Knol officially launched
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 15:11 »
Interesting, but most of the front page seems to consist of horrible diseases!   :ack:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Google Knol officially launched
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 17:09 »
.. it doesn't look very pleasing on the eye to me. I like Wikipedia. Though with this out I guess it will mean me telling the undergrads in lab in the autumn not to use it as well... oh what happened to those things that are held together and kept in a rack at the end of the room...
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum