Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: omni-data computers  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
omni-data computers
« on: March 25, 2003, 21:55 »
My neice is thinking of purchasing a computer from Omni-data computers.  Does anyone know anything about this company and would you buy from them? Also what is the views regarding athlon processors and Pentium processors.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Gemini

Re:omni-data computers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 22:02 »
Hi Lona, why don't you check out reviews of omni data on dooyoo.co.uk, they're usually pretty good for checking things out.  Definitely athlon I would say, though in fairness my pentium 4 has worked perfectly fine.  :)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Gemini

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 22:09 »
Oops sorry Lona they haven't got any reviews for omni data, not sure if thats a good sign or a bad sign.  I guess if they were bad there would be a lot of complaints.
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 22:14 »
But I prefer Intel Gem  ;D
I think you'll find about 2/3rds will say AMD (mainly on price per Hz ) and 1/3rd will say Intel.
How longs a piece of string Lona  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 22:16 »
Thanks anyway Gemini.  My neice is asking my advice and I have always had pentium processors and am not familiar with athlon. I have heard that they are much cheaper to manufacture and although I hear everybody saying they are better, I just wondered what other folks views were. ???

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 22:20 »
Oh, Sandra, I wish I had not been asked, how long this piece of string is ;D. I hate advising someone when I really don't have concrete answers. This is her first pc and if it all goes belly up, she will say it was my fault :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 22:25 »
What is she wanting to use it for Lona? Does she know?
How much does she want to spend or is prepared to spend?
Is she scottish  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 22:34 »
My neice is thinking of purchasing a computer from Omni-data computers.  Does anyone know anything about this company and would you buy from them?

As with dealing with any company for the first time, my advice would be to ring them, and see a) if they answer, and b) if they seem to know what they're talking about.  I had a look at their website, and it seems fairly professional, and there are good contact details, which is usually a good sign.  Don't forget to make sure they have a secure server before submitting any details.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 22:39 »
I'm on my 5th Athlon computer Lona.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 22:43 »
First off Sandra, she is Scottish, but lives in Wales. She has actually been to their outlet, Simon which is in Swansea. She has made the purchase but it can be cancelled as no money has changed hands. Here is a rough spec

Athlon Xp2000
80 gbts HD
256 DDR
DVD drive
Cd-RW
17 TFT screen
I can't remember the speed of the writer or the dvd I think it was 40
web camera
Gforce graphics
I am not sure if the sound is integrated
Total cost £850

Adept

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 22:53 »

She has actually been to their outlet, Simon which is in Swansea.

I thought I recognised the name ;) Don't know anything about them though Lona, sorry :( I'll try and find out for you.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 23:00 »
Theres possibly up to £350 in the monitor there Lona  :o

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 00:02 »
I'm probably not the best person to ask about Intel CPUs, as I've never owned a box that had Intel inside, although I've driven tons of them.  What I can tell you, is that an AMD processor has hitherto always beaten an Intel one on a 'bang-per-buck' basis.

These days, a certain amount of fan-worship (don't start, Bat!) exists, which results in a degree of impartiality.  So look in your wallet and if you can afford it, buy it -- it'll be obsolete next week anyway!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum