Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The big Windows 7 lie  (Read 2048 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
The big Windows 7 lie
« on: November 12, 2008, 16:04 »
http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_big_windows_7_lie

You've read the early reviews with comments like Windows 7 is a big improvement over Vista and Windows 7 is wicked fast. Sounds great doesn't it? On closer inspection though Windows 7 M3 (Milestone 3) is being revealed as being just a "slightly tweaked version of Vista."

When I said recently that early Windows 7 reviews based on handpicked bribes, ah high-end laptops, to reviewers and bloggers could only give results that were not a lot different from those of a rigged demo I was more right than I knew. Randall Kennedy put the Windows 7 engine on a real test-bench and discovered that, at the kernel level, "When viewed side by side in Performance Monitor, Vista and Windows 7 were virtually indistinguishable."

In case you haven't used Vista, that means you can expect Windows 7 performance to be lousy. Kennedy ran the same application performance tests comparing XP and Vista and found that Vista ran 40% slower than XP. I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you must run Windows, run XP SP3.

Application tests underlined Windows 7's more than skin-deep resemblance to Vista. Kennedy found, "In a nutshell, Windows 7 M3 is a virtual twin of Vista when it comes to performance." There are also peas in a pod when it comes to being resource hogs. Microsoft can talk about how Windows 7 will work great on netbooks and some people can claim that Windows 7 will run desktop Linux off netbooks, but Windows 7 is no more suitable than Vista is for a netbook.

I can't say that I've looked at Windows 7 nearly as closely as Kennedy has, but I've looked at Windows 7 enough to know that it's no real improvement on Vista. Ironically, the best things I can find to say about Windows 7 are the ones that make it look more like XP. UAC (User Access Control) is being loosened up, so you'll no longer have to give explicit permission every time you want to swipe your PC's nose. And, the user interface, while based on Vista Aero, locates commands in a way that has more in common with XP than it does with Vista.

What's really going on here is Microsoft's same old, same old. Microsoft is trying to pull the wool over our eyes by making Windows 7 look great in staged events and by bribing reviewers with expensive laptops. They're also trying to freeze everyone's purchase plans by making Windows 7 sound like the next great thing, so why would you want to consider say Ubuntu 8.10 or a new Mac?

The answer is that if you're sick and tired of being jerked around by Microsoft, and after Vista I would hope some of you would be, now is the perfect time to considering move to Linux or the Mac. Of course, you can keep hoping that Windows 7 will be the next great thing, but, based on what those of us who are taking a real look at what's coming, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: The big Windows 7 lie
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 17:05 »
Sobering thoughts - but from a Linux fan, perhaps? 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 19:22 »
I wish these Linux fans would come up with some decent software to compete with Micro$oft's Media Center and video editing suites.  The temptation to switch from such a bloated OS as Vista would be almost irresistable.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 20:44 »
I think I'll just stick with XP again.   ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 23:00 »
posted on wrong  thread sort of  ::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 23:06 by Tony »
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 00:38 »
Maybe people need to check that their PCs are good enough to run Vista before they install it ?
I havent had any problems with it being slow and has lots of features that work better than they do on XP.
Windows Movie Maker on Vista is one program that comes to mind, it is far superior to the one thats on XP as it doesnt appear to have the limitations of the number of slides or video clips that can be imported at one go that the XP version has.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15 »
...lots of features that work better than they do on XP.
Windows Movie Maker on Vista is one program that comes to mind...

:o

Are you sure, Sandra?  The WMM on my system won't even edit half hour long programmes recorded on Windows Media Center!  Fortunately, my machine came with a OEM version of Roxio's My DVD Basic.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:35 »
The only really big ones I have done are in the slide show.
The old chap who I teach how to use his pc had about 1,000 slides. It would import them into movie maker on his XP pc, 2.8 AMD Sempron, but when we dragged the slides into the timeline and then told it to make a movie and save to hard drive it just showed the time left as going up and up, once it got to 4 hours I gave up. I copied the files to a flash drive and did them on my pc at home using Vista and it did the movie in about 30 minutes.

I found the only way I could get it to work on XP was to load around 150 slides at a time and make individual clips then when we had made all the clips I could import the clips back then make a movie by joining them in the program.

If you want to edit files created in WMC have a look at Video Redo Plus, thats far better and quicker than Roxios Gill  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:38 by Sandra »

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 12:46 »
If you want to edit files created in WMC have a look at Video Redo Plus, thats far better and quicker than Roxios Gill  :)

Ooooh - that's very good  :thumbs: .  Thanks for the tip, Sandra  :hatoff: .

Gill

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum