Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Precociously Talented Artist  (Read 1976 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Precociously Talented Artist
« on: January 08, 2009, 19:23 »
Art gallery fooled into showing work of a two-year-old

This report speaks volumes about what passes for 'art' nowadays.  I once tried to take a course at my local college because I wanted to learn how to draw.  However, the art department didn't teach drawing...
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Precociously Talented Artist
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 20:45 »
It seems that any old rubbish can be labelled as 'art' and they get away with it.  Didn't someone exhibit a dog turd on a piece of paper once?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 22:38 »
It's what I've always suspected!   :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44 »
Art, like fashion, is about a select few fooling the masses. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:51 »

It seems that any old rubbish can be labelled as 'art' and they get away with it.  Didn't someone exhibit a dog turd on a piece of paper once?

The burger vans in Blackpool have been giving art away for years
 :ack:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:30 »
Did i ever mention that my other teaching certification was in art?  :blush:

The problem with art is that it's so subjective. Everyone has there opinion and nothing can be proven right or wrong. Its all about context.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:33 »
There's nowt wrong with being an art teacher, Bob, so long as you teach techniques which will enable your pupils to create original work, as opposed to derivative.  Any art teacher who can do that is worth all the other art teachers put together.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 03:58 »
If your looking for original work that little girls image fits the bill. There is just no substance behind it. Most of the time a museum will require the artist to make a general statement. They'll ask about what motivated them, a general history, and why they chose the medium they did. When a person understands the context he can get more out of the work then he would from just a quick glance.

That curator just wasn't doing his job. I'll admit there is a bunch of crap that passes for art these days. But, then again there are some great concepts that look like crap at first glance until their viewed in context.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:07 by Reno »

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 12:43 »
I'm not looking for original work like that, no matter what the age of the person who produces it.

William Morris once said, "Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."  It's an exhortation that appeals to me.  Morris said nothing about a need to understand art, merely to have a perception of it.  I've always thought that beauty is something which should be appreciated, not analysed.  If you need to analyse it, you've lost sight of its purpose.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 13:11 »
I'd agree with you, Gill, it applies equally to music. Once a piece needs to be explained to me it has failed. Art, in all its forms, should not be about intellect but emotion.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 15:04 »
If all that was known of art were the pretty paintings from your local department store the world would get boring real quick. Variety is the spice of life. That's why new and unexpected ways of creating art are valued these days.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 15:19 »
Not by everyone, Bob. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 00:00 »
I must admit that those Turner prize winning pices of art never do anything for me.
That Tracy "whoever she is" s**t stained bed was ridiculous to be picked as a winner. You could probably go into any students flat and see something as disgusting  ::)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03 »
Did anyone see the television programme last weekend about the Greenhalghs?  They were a family in Bolton comprising a couple of OAPs and a middle aged son who replicated artwork which they sold to various institutions for hundreds of thousands.  The secret of their success wasn't the artwork itself but the way they created false provenances for it.  Of itself, the artwork wasn't anything special but the institutions paid small fortunes for the story behind it.

To my mind, this story illustrates the wisdom of separating artwork from its story or context.  Art should stand in it's own right, uncontaminated by its history.  Even if the art was created by an acclaimed artist or someone in Babylonia, unless it has intrinsic merit it is worthless.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum