Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Music They Made.  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: The Music They Made.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 17:10 »
What opera have you heard, it's a huge field. I don't like Wagner, but Verdi, Puccini, Mozart etc are very different.
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 17:39 »
Just snippets mostly, Rik.  Madame Butterfly I was forced to endure all the way through as a child, but it's all much of a muchness to me, as I'm sure, heavy metal is to you.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 17:58 »
Butterfly is not a good opera, imo, especially for a child. I'd start people with either the Magic Flute, lots of good tunes and lots of fun, or Boheme, again lots of good tunes, but a tragedy.

About the only type, rather than example, of music I dislike is punk, which, imo, wasn't music at all.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 18:40 »
Butterfly is not a good opera, imo, especially for a child. I'd start people with either the Magic Flute, lots of good tunes and lots of fun, or Boheme, again lots of good tunes, but a tragedy.

About the only type, rather than example, of music I dislike is punk, which, imo, wasn't music at all.

You can add Rap to that, Rik.  :ack:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 18:43 »
Good thinking, Lona. About the only types... are punk and RAP, neither of which I consider to be music at all.
Slainthe!

Rik

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 18:53 »
I never liked Punk either, but I thought the Sex Pistols were great! 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07 »
Tommy is a good one to listen to Simon, the original Who version though not the film  :)

Some of the Gilbert and Sullivan ones werent bad either.

You probably preferred Gilbert O'Sullivans "Alone Again Naturally" though  ;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 05:13 »
I was (and remain) a fan of punk.  I don't know why - perhaps it was something to do with the time I was growing up and the spirit of the age.  I still love listening to the Undertones, the Stranglers, the Clash et al.  I'd like to think it didn't straitjacket me into one particular type of music, though.  I grew to love folk-rockers such as Richard Thompson, Ukrainian balalaikas, Mongol throat singers, Yemeni music, Johnny Cash and (whisper it) the odd bit of Motown.  I've even strayed into classical music and often find myself humming a bit of Prokofiev or Saint-Saens.

Nevertheless, opera leaves me cold, be it Mozart, Gilbert & Sullivan, Wagner or Verdi.  I've tried them and...  :ack: .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 22:21 »
You could save me from listening Simon  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum