Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: .tel domain names: a quick guide  (Read 613 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
.tel domain names: a quick guide
« on: March 26, 2009, 17:06 »
The new .tel top-level domain has been dubbed "the new way to communicate" but what exactly is it? Here is our .tel quick guide.

What is a .tel domain?
.tel is a top-level domain (TLD). This is the last part of an internet domain name, the group of letters that follow the final dot in an internet address, such as .com .org and .uk.

Management of most top-level domains is delegated to organisations by the Internet Corporation for Assigned names and Numbers (ICANN). Telnic is the registry operator for the new .tel domain.

How are .tel names different to ones already in use?
Unlike other top-level domains names including .co.uk and .com, information with .tel is held directly within the Domain Name System (DNS), so that information can be retrieved 'on the fly'.

This means that with .tel you don't need to build, host or manage a website because all your information will be on the internet under your own unique domain name, for example: bono.tel or emma.tel.

What will I be able to do with a .tel name?
With a .tel address you'll be able to store email addresses, links to personal websites, identities for social networks, phone numbers and street addresses.

Telniv claims that a .tel domain can act as a single point of contact, is easy to manage and can be used to help anyone get in touch with you in the way you want them to. The domain name can be accessed from any browser or search engine.

How do I configure my .tel name?

Once you've bought your individual .tel name, you'll need to configure it. The first step is to input your data in your .tel account. You'll need to start with the basics such as your home phone number and mobile contact details, email address and keywords. You have full control over how much you want to share and also how you would like people to contact you, by email or phone.

Likewise you can set your privacy controls and decide whether you want to make your profile public or private. After you've done this you can update your .tel account to let others know your status, whether you're travelling or busy or at work. All this information can be updated by any internet-enabled device.

How much will it cost?
Prior to the Telnic offering .tel to the public it cost around $300 (£205) for the premium package on an annual subscription. Telnic estimates that addresses on the .tel domain should sell for between $15 (£10) and $35 (£24) per year.

Where can I get one?
BT and MySpace will offer the new .tel domain names. Hosting company 123-reg also offers the .tel domain name in the UK, with prices starting from £9.99 a year. Here is a full list of companies offering .tel domains worldwide.

http://www.telnic.org/business-buy.html

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: .tel domain names: a quick guide
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 18:03 »
Bit naff, if you ask me.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: .tel domain names: a quick guide
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 18:07 »
I'm not signing up, that's for sure. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum