Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: laptop power supply  (Read 1536 times)

Offline KRO

laptop power supply
« on: June 17, 2009, 19:44 »
hi people, can anyone please tell me if it safe / ok to leave my laptop hooked up permanently to the 240v mains supply, obviously not with the pc in standby but turned off when not in use.
can this cause any damage atall or would you recommend i unplug it and use the battery life before plugging into the mains ???
(i dont want to damage my new toy after all)
many thanks for any help / advice.................
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: laptop power supply
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 21:00 »
I'm not actually sure about the technicalities of whether it affects the battery life or not, but I would have thought that once the battery was fully charged, it would stop accepting the charge from the mains.  I tend to keep mine fully charged by using it mains powered most of the time, then I always have a few hours of battery left, should I need it, but I don't leave it plugged into the mains power all the time when I'm not using it.  I guess it's more economical, and 'environmentally friendly'  ::)  to not leave it powered when you're not using it, unless your charging it, of course.

Hopefully, someone more technical will be along soon with some better advice.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 00:07 »
I am not sure about newer laptops but earlier ones used to show the number of recharge cycles the battery had done. After so many cycles they seemed to hold less and less charge so it would be advisable to remove the battery and run it directly off the mains if you mainly used it in a fixed location, or other locations where there was a mains supply available.
Just connect and use the battery when on the move or away from a power point.

Offline KRO

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:18 »
thanks very much for the reply's, i'll give that a try sandra, but i thought that i'd need the battery connected at all times for the pc to actually work !!!
cheers kro.....

Offline KRO

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:23 »
doh............i've just found out that it does work ok without the battery fitted
many thanks again for your help
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:34 »
It will probably be a bit lighter too!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum