Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: EC plans crackdown on rogue retail sites  (Read 543 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
EC plans crackdown on rogue retail sites
« on: September 09, 2009, 14:10 »
The European Commission has announced plans to crack down on websites selling electronic goods after high levels of consumer complaints.

The European Commission is planning to crack down on websites selling electronic goods after becoming concerned by the high levels of complaints against such sites.

More than a third of complaints regarding online sales received by the EC in 2007 concerned the purchase of electronic equipment.

EU Consumer Commissioner Meglena Kuneva said: "We discovered that more than half of the retailers selling online electronic goods are letting consumers down.

"This is a Europe-wide problem which needs a European solution. There is a lot of work to be done in the months ahead to clean up this sector, Europe's consumers deserve better," Kuneva continued.

Of particular concern to the EC are misleading information about consumer rights, misleading information about the total price of goods and missing or incomplete contact details for the trader.

The EC examined 369 sites operated from within the European community and found that 55 per cent showed irregularities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: EC plans crackdown on rogue retail sites
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 22:02 »
I bought a camera recently (Panasonic Lumix G1), and I could have got it at least £100 cheaper from a site I found online, but I just didn't know whether to trust them.  When I called to ask them if it was UK stock and spec, I was told yes it was, and when I asked how they did it so cheaply, I was told (unofficially) that they don't accept warranty repairs through the site, but you had to go back to the manufacturer.  I just thought that sounded a bit iffy, so I bought it locally instead.  I'd probably risk a toaster through them, but not a £400 camera.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: EC plans crackdown on rogue retail sites
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 22:32 »
Very wise Simon!   :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum