Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Unprecedented Eruption Catches Astronomers By Surprise  (Read 571 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
An alert was raised March 11 when Japanese amateur astronomers announced what might have been the discovery of a new 8th magnitude nova in the constellation of Cygnus. It was soon realized that this eruption was not what it appeared to be. It was actually the unexpected nova-like eruption of a known variable star, V407 Cygni. Typically varying between 12th and 14th magnitude, V407 Cyg is a rather mundane variable star. So what caused this well-behaved star to suddenly go ballistic?

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/03/21/unprecedented-eruption-catches-astronomers-by-surprise/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Unprecedented Eruption Catches Astronomers By Surprise
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 22:41 »
Great pic!  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 22:49 »
yeah as artists impressions go it aint bad.

I'm lecturing High Energy Astrophysics this week - filling in - and I'm going to be talking about the mechanism that drives this sort of explosion, Roche Lobe overflow and He flash burning. I could give you all my notes but something says you'll be bored after about a page of maths - the students are gonna love me  :devil:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 23:03 »
 ;D  Cygnus is not well placed for observing at this time of year but at magnitide 8 the nova would be an easy binocular object if you knew exactly where to look!  On a clear night you can see the outline of the Milky Way running through this well defined summer constellation. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 23:04 »
and if you go to a proper dark site then it won't be a problem to see the galaxy.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum