Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hiroshima  (Read 1269 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Hiroshima
« on: July 12, 2010, 14:50 »
Last week I found myself on a tram in Hiroshima, heading to the stop “A-bomb dome”. I was surrounded by Japanese passengers, and for the first time in Japan I felt self-conscious and uncomfortable. I am an American working at Los Alamos, the literal and figurative birthplace of the atomic bomb. Memories of my visit to Trinity Site are still fresh. The weight of history is unavoidable. As in a classic Bruegel painting, however, nobody seems to pay particular notice. Everyone moves forward with their lives. A few days after the bomb, they restored streetcar service to parts of the city. There is no evidence of that terrible instant. None, that is, until you get off the tram stop and confront the dome. You’ve seen images of it countless times. But standing in front of it, surrounded by the bustling city of Hiroshima, is an altogether different experience.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/07/11/hiroshima/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Hiroshima
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 15:43 »
But perhaps there is something hopeful in that, in the ensuing half century, we’ve had enough sense not to use them again.

I don't think Madmanmahoud sees it that way.   :(

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 14:53 »
Just for a second I thought Sandra was back.  ;)  ;D

Personally I'd like to see Iran with "the bomb", it's their insurance that what happened to Iraq, won't happen to them.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 14:57 »
their slight lack of natural resources helps that.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 15:14 »
 :laugh:  I thought they still had a decent amount of oil there.

I heard recently that the first deals were being made for large deposits of minerals in Afghanistan.  ::)

http://www.acus.org/new_atlanticist/afghanistan-mineral-riches-beware-hype

Can't find the story about the deals though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 15:22 by mistybear »

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 15:23 »
Just for a second I thought Sandra was back.  ;)  ;D

Personally I'd like to see Iran with "the bomb", it's their insurance that what happened to Iraq, won't happen to them.

Well on one hand I suppose there is a certain irony that the US, with their massive nuclear arsenal, strut around the world stage threatening lesser developed countries with dire consequences should they develop the self same weapons. (although i notice they give North Korea a wide berth).
On the other hand the prospect of Iran with nuclear capability doesn't bear thinking about (especially if you live in Israel) so i guess the current situation is the lesser of two evils.  ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 15:24 »
Yes they are an oil-rich nation and export it to China and Russia.  The problem they have is that sanctions prevent them from refining it so the filling stations are often empty or have long queues of cars waiting to fill up.  

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 15:40 »
Well on one hand I suppose there is a certain irony that the US, with their massive nuclear arsenal, strut around the world stage threatening lesser developed countries with dire consequences should they develop the self same weapons. (although i notice they give North Korea a wide berth).
On the other hand the prospect of Iran with nuclear capability doesn't bear thinking about (especially if you live in Israel) so i guess the current situation is the lesser of two evils.  ::)

That is another reason that they should have the weapons. The only other country threatening people with nuclear attack, is Israel. And they do their own version of strutting around knowing no one is going to do anything about it. Just like America, they don't recognise the International Criminal Court, oh, only if they prosecute Nazis.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 15:43 »
Yes they are an oil-rich nation and export it to China and Russia.  The problem they have is that sanctions prevent them from refining it so the filling stations are often empty or have long queues of cars waiting to fill up. 

And I wonder who decides why they should be sanctioned. Punishment for kicking out the foreign oil companies and nationalising their oil. Oh, that's after they got rid of the western puppet, the Shah.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 16:09 »
The sanctions have all been imposed because of Iran's defiance of resolutions passed unanimously by the United Nations Security Council which prevent Iran from making nuclear weapons.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran  The world needs to ban nuclear weapons before some despot decides to use them and destroy the planet.  Sadly, I believe that Madmanmahoud is in favour of Armageddon as he thinks he will return as Mohamed and rule the world.  History is littered with delusional dictators. 

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 16:23 »
Sanctions are just a way that the west punishes countries that won't do as they are told. The US, her allies and other countries that they bribe or threaten help with the voting process. I read actually UN documents about the voting on sanctions against Iraq leading up the both invasions, and the way the US manipulated the voting and the revision process was disgusting. Items that actually got passed, the US managed to hold up so they could investigate and review it, limit the number or amount of goods. These included medical supplies, water purification and other emergencies items. It was all about placing more and more pressure on Iraq. I call it inhuman. Just like what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 16:49 »
and the way the US manipulated the voting and the revision process was disgusting.

Many Iranians might say that the way Madmanmahoud manipulated the voting in last year's election was equally disgusting Kate.   :P   But I have to put my cards on the table and tell you that I have distant Israeli family (by marriage) so it would not surprise you to learn that I am pro-Israeli.  I've visited and been to the weddings and had wonderful hospitality.  I know their fears and have seen the gas-proof shelters that are a mandatory part of every house.  And they work their socks off.  Having said that I met some very nice Palestinians during my recent visit to Belfast and they are also now part of my (very) extended family.  I am happy to live and let live but I abhor violence. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum