Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Breathtaking Galaxy Amid the Dense Coma Cluster  (Read 568 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Breathtaking Galaxy Amid the Dense Coma Cluster
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:21 »
The Coma Cluster is a huge, densely populated cluster, with thousands of galaxies closely bunched together. Amid the bedlam of ellipticals, lenticulars and irregulars is this majestic face-on spiral galaxy known as NGC 4911. Hubble stared long and deep to get this highly detailed image of this particular galaxy located deep within the Coma Cluster. Data from three different years and 28 hours of exposure time were combined to capture this breathtaking look at spiral arms, glowing newborn star clusters and iridescent pink clouds of hydrogen, meaning there is ongoing star formation.

http://www.universetoday.com/70852/breathtaking-galaxy-amid-the-dense-coma-cluster/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Breathtaking Galaxy Amid the Dense Coma Cluster
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:19 »
The Coma cluster is a favourite target for amateurs because they are a fairly easy challenge for a small telescope considering that the cluster is at a distance of 320 million light years!  I've seen quite a few members of the cluster and I'm sure Sam has seen many more of them.   8-)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Breathtaking Galaxy Amid the Dense Coma Cluster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 16:04 »
yeah, but I tend not to bother with my own eye... tracing a CCD camera on it is more fun at times :-D
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum