Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Radio 5 Live  (Read 1835 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Radio 5 Live
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:48 »
Talksport challenges BBC Radio 5 Live’s 'fluffy’ news content

On Tuesday, the trust will begin a formal review of 5 Live’s compliance with its licence, which could lead to a change in the station’s tone and content.

It's about time something was done about this radio station.  It's always been 'bloke-ish' but at least there was some news coverage.  Now it's all phone-ins and presenters gazing into their own navels.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Radio 5 Live
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04 »
I've never listened to it Gill.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:05 »
Me neither.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36 »
It used to be good when they had the likes of Fi Glover, Sybill Ruscoe, Julian Worricker, Eddie Mair and Jane Garvey presenting.  Now it's stuck with Richard Bacon, Nicky Campbell and Gabby Logan.  Peter Allen is the only consumate professional journalist left, although Victoria Derbyshire admittedly has her moments.

The 5 Live concept is good - 24 hour news and sport as it happens.  Instead they dish up phone-ins, music reviews, laddish comedy, film reviews and presenters' ego trips.  Oh, and there are also lots of traffic reports too, lasting several minutes at a time.

I used to like 5 Live but I'm increasingly listening to my iPod instead.  I hope the BBC Trust's review brings about some desperately needed improvements.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 16:03 »
The 5 Live concept is good - 24 hour news and sport as it happens.  Instead they dish up phone-ins, music reviews, laddish comedy, film reviews and presenters' ego trips.  Oh, and there are also lots of traffic reports too, lasting several minutes at a time.

Perhaps that's because there isn't 'new' news happening all the time, and they have to fill the gaps with something?  I like talk radio, and it can be very entertaining.  One thing that irritates me about the Jeremy Vine show is when they interrupt an interesting discussion because they 'must play a record'.  Why *must* they play it at that particular point in time?  Surely they could wait until after the debate, then play two or three in a row, if they have to?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 16:25 »
I listen to five live lots.  On the weekend it has excellent sport coverage.  I never really listen to it before 3.. as I'm asleep.

In the evening they have some interesting phone is / content. I very much enjoy it.

Stephen Nolan is one of the weekend gems and his discussions and phone ins are excellent... and he has had some 'interesting' callers recently in respect to the IRA.

Oh and talksport - pile of s**te... any station that employs Stan Collymore really needs to rethink its existence.

- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum