Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc locks while loading cd drivers  (Read 1532 times)

Offline The_Optikal_1

pc locks while loading cd drivers
« on: June 25, 2003, 12:10 »
I have an emachine 600id. recently I had a lighting surge while the pc was off. When I put it back on the pci video card would not work but onboard did.
* Then it would hang loading 98SE, at the cd drivers.

* I tried using the restore disk to format and reinstall but it locked again at those drivers.

* Lastly I tried with a 98 boot disk and OEM ver.
  the boot disk would always hang on the cd     drivers if I chose "start with cd support". If I choose step-by-step conf. and choose no at the cd drivers it goes further, though I can't use my cd drive.

I've disconnected all unneccesary hardware in case of a short, tried different cd roms and am not sure now.
Could the BIOS have problems or is something on the board probably fried.

Thanks in advance.......

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:pc locks while loading cd drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 12:28 »
:welcome:  Optikal-1.  It's always wise to remove the modem cable from the phone socket when there is a lightning storm going on.  One of our techies will be along shortly to help you with your problem.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 13:35 »
Hi there, and welcome to PC Pals.  

I'm no techie myself, but it does sound pretty terminal, doesn't it?  I would assume your PC (although switched off) was still connected to the mains when the surge occured?  Sometimes a surge protector can help, but apparently they are only effective for one 'strike', then they should be replaced.

As I said, I'm no techie, so keep checking back here, and hopefully someone else will be along later with some suggestions.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 13:50 »
It sounds like the board or poss the BIOS chip is fried .
I assume that you cant even get into safe mode either.
I was wondering if you disconnected the cd rom/s if it would then get past the hanging initialising the drivers for those and may get into windows but its a long shot.

Oh I have just reread your question and you state that by choosing step by step "you can get further".
Does this mean that it will actually boot up into windows and run normally except for the CD rom/s ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 14:54 »
I found this article :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182090

This may enable you to reinstall the necessary files that may have become corrupted,or use your restore cd :-*

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 15:15 »
@The_Optikal_1

It?s probable the memory may be damaged; if the PC stalls at loading drivers in DOS then it?s not a windows problem

"if other core files are damaged (such as the Vmm32.vxd or Win.com file)."

If it happens in windows then system files are damaged

Have you removed the PCI Video card, it is more likely to halt at Video drivers?

If you can, use a network or USB/laplink to copy all the Win98 cab fikes to your hard drive and install from there bypassing your CD-ROM

Brian ;D  
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline The_Optikal_1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 14:02 »
well I'm still baffled some but I have had progress.

I flashed the BIOS and it didn't help

Everytime it would load the oak technology cd drivers it would lock(emachine restore disk or 98 boot disk)

I tried diff. RAM and it was the same

though I was able to load Knoppix and also XP booting off the CD.So I can't understand why it has issues with 98 cd drivers on a clean install.

Thanks for your help

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 16:34 »
Are you saying that it will actually boot into windows normally now?
It just wont load the CD drivers for 98 but does so for XP  ???

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 20:45 »
@The_Optikal_1
Run scandisk on your drive and see if there are any bad sectors, if there are bad sectors at the begining of the drive then Win98se or ME wont load,

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum