Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Strange NIC Win2K problem  (Read 1893 times)

Offline philr

Strange NIC Win2K problem
« on: July 16, 2003, 17:26 »
I've just reinstalled win2k on my PC following some USB problems.

The system is now set up as a "standard PC".

Good news is that my USB problems are solved, but i now have a problem connecting to the internet where it used to work perfectly!

Previously my NIC card and network connection worked ok. However now it only works immediately after installing the network drivers. If i shutdown or restart the machine it wont connect to anything. I have to reinstall the drivers every time I reboot/ shiutdown to get it to work.

In device managet the network adapter seems to be working OK. The card is on IRQ 11 and is not shared with anything else.

I have the following: AMD Athlon 1300mhz NVidia Geforce 4 Ti 512 MB Ram Muse soundcard. Firewire card. Connecting to the internet via a Belkin router / WiFi access point (this pc is connected via a cable)

also: p.s. I found this error message in the error logs: Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters for the Network Card with the network address 0002E31F6522. The following error occurred during configuration: The parameter is incorrect. .

Can anyone help ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Strange NIC Win2K problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 18:48 »
Hi Phil,welcome aboard.
From the error message you are getting it sounds as if the router isnt assigning an IP address to your PC correctly,have you got a firewall that is not allowing the router to access your pc?
Maybe you need to reconfigure the router to set the DHCP.
As to why the drivers need reinstalling,I cant think at the moment of anything other than to try disabling any AV that you have running then reinstall the drivers again prior to enabling the AV in case its interfering somhow  :-*

Offline philr

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 09:52 »
Thanks for the reply.

I have no firewall running yet and the DCHP has been set up. Still no Joy.

Netgear are sugessting physically removing the card and reinstalling. I'll try that and see how it goes.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:28 »

Netgear are sugessting physically removing the card and reinstalling. I'll try that and see how it goes.

That may well work. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen correctly installed, non-conflicting NICs refuse to work until moved to another PCI slot. It makes no sense ???, but it seems to work :gofor: ;D

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 12:53 »
@philr
As Adept says the problem can sometimes be solved by moving the card to another slot,

Remove the card from the device manager and reboot the computer make sure that you have the latest drivers from the manufactures site and install them

The problem to me seems to be that your networking configuration is not set correctly, open up the properties section of your network connection and make sure that the box's for "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" are ticked and that the "Client for Microsoft Networks" is installed

Check your router is set up as a DNS server and then try to connect to the internet

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline philr

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 22:14 »
Thanks for all your help, however I am still having the same problem after trying all of the suggestions.

Anything else you think I can try ?

p.s. I removed the router and tried it that way, still no dice. suggest router settings are ok as I can connect ok once I reinstall drivers.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 22:38 »
...Prozac?

I must just have been lucky with my recent very first attempt at a network installation, then.  I just bunged in a NIC; coupled up my Netgear FR114P; stuffed some brightly-coloured patch leads into various holes; switched on the two beasts and fed them with a CD each -- Et voila!  Laptop and big box in perfect harmony.

All, without too much of that silly 'reading' nonsense which can so often take the fun out of home computing.  Perhaps reading the instructions is where you're coming unstuck.

Sincere best wishes for a happy outcome!   :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 23:52 »
Just an idea Phil,I had all sorts of problems setting my network up through an adsl modem/router/hub combined unit.
I had been rebooting the router after each alter and save settings that I did but I never rebooted the pc at the same time.
The following day I switched them on together and it has worked perfectly ever since  ???

Offline philr

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 00:06 »
Problem Solved!  :)

Nothing to do with NIC cards, routers, or reading the instructions!

Incorrect setting in the BIOS - was set to allocate resources manually - (must have done it when I had USB issues) not set to auto and voila it works.

Thanks for your help

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 00:14 »
Glad you sorted it in the end,isnt it annoying though when you spend ages double checking everything and its something simple that you overlooked  :(

Offline lobo

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 11:25 »
99% of problems = Operator error ;D

Brian :brick: :rock:

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.

Offline Shaz

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 13:18 »
Hiya Philr,Lobo 4gets some of us are human and make mistakes!! ;D
I like your new sig Lobo its cool!! ;)
 :doggie:I love the doggie were did that come from??
een away but back with a vengence!!!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 14:00 »
I found it Shaz,it was lost and unloved so I rescued it and Adept rehomed it on Pals  :)

:doggie: :doggie: :doggie:

Offline lobo

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 14:27 »
Hiya Philr,Lobo 4gets some of us are human and make mistakes!!

That only applies to the female of the species Shaz not to the omnificent males of this forum, just ask any of the others  ;D

The sig comes courtsy of Sandra (thanks a lot)

(Between me and you Shaz I have made the occasional mistake but if your lucky nobody notices it)

Brian :doggie:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum