Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: new laptop  (Read 1182 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
new laptop
« on: July 12, 2003, 12:02 »
g'day

a friend is off to australia very soon and wants to get a laptop over here as they are supposedly cheaper than down under. i believe that the power supply over there is the same as here, you just need an adapter to fit the different plugs.

the requirements are merely for internet use and using word documents.  the only hardware requirement is for a cd writer.  can anyone recommend a good value model & vendor for him.

:)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:new laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 14:31 »
I can confirm that the voltage is the same Dave,having enjoyed a few holidays out there,they just use a strange loooking plug  ::)
Cant help on the other bit sorry,it will just have to be a cause of "shopping around" for the best deal  :-*

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 14:40 »
Currys are doin a Toshiba Pentium 4 2.66Ghz with 512Mb DDR Ram, 40Gb HDD and a Geforce4 32Mb GO video card.. pretty good system for a laptop, its very similar to mine and thats goin for £1199... he could do alot worse :)

raig.

It has been hypothisized that a million monkeys typing onto a million keyboards will produce the works of Shakespeare.
With the invention of the internet we now know this is untrue.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 15:18 »
The choice of laptop depends quite heavily on budget daveeb, although it doesn't sound like your friend needs anything too sophisticated.

In my experience, if you intend to keep the laptop more than a couple of years, it is better to go for one of the major brands e.g. Sony, Toshiba, Dell, Compaq (HP) etc. as they tend to keep better stocks of spare parts for when things go wrong. The (normally cheaper) clone brands tend not to keep parts for very long and it can be difficult to get them repaired when they are out of warranty. On the whole, branded PCs also tend to be more robust.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 16:04 »
thanks everyone. i'll pass that on, the best i found was £893 at evesham. i think i'll leave any further spade work to him.

;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 18:08 »
Have you tried Novatech, Dave?  <<<Click here.>>>
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 20:31 »
thanks simon   ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum