Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sound Clicking  (Read 896 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Sound Clicking
« on: August 12, 2003, 01:18 »
This may be in the wrong place, but until I know different, I'll assume this is a hardware problem.

What it is, is that when I play a music CD on the PC, there is an occasional random 'clicking' sound through the speakers, like you get sometimes when someone switches on a light switch, or the fridge goes on and off, and I wondered what this could be?

The sound is onboard my motherboard, so there is no soundcard involved, and I changed the speakers but the clicking sound is still there.

Any ideas?  I'm off to bed now, so won't see any replies until the morning.   :snooze:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Sound Clicking
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 01:26 »
Its probably a missing codec Simon.
Is this the one you have just built or your own?
If its the one you just built you mentioned that XP loaded all the drivers except the audio ones.
Did you install those from the CD that came with it?
Go to the motherboard site and get the latest if they have them. If you did it from the CD or if it says who made the onboard sound go to their site for them :doggie:

If that doesnt sort it out make sure that you have oiled the hamsters wheel before you put him inside it  ;D ;D ;D

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 01:43 »
Hi Simon,

I'm not pretending the knoledge. But perhaps if you give some other informations will be more useful to the pro to help:

- If the cause is the fridge, shouldn't that happen even when you play musuc from hard disk?
   - Do you have a second CD player? If yes, does the same problem appear?
   - Does that happen to only one CD or to all? If only to one, then it could be some dirt on the CD. If all, May be you need to clean the lens of the player.
   - is the player well connected inside the tower?
   - Do you hear any noise while it's playing other CDs (programs)?

Well, the rest I leave it to others.   Have Good Dreams.  Sleep well.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 08:55 »
It's the one I've just built, Sandra.  I installed the sound drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, but I'll have a look at the Asus site to see if there are any later ones.  The board seems fairly up to date though, as the BIOS is dated 03/08/03, not that I know if that's relevant.

Joudi, it's not just one CD, and it's a brand new CD drive (DVD actually), so I wouldn't think it would need cleaning just yet.

I will check the connections again, and maybe move the connection lead to the other connector on the motherboard, to see if that has any effect.  Other than that, I'm stumped.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 11:30 »
I think I may have solved this one.  I moved the lead from the drive to the board connector away from the PSU, which it was resting on, and there seems to be no more clicking, so maybe it was just electrical interference, which is what it sounded like, as I said.

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 11:45 »
I will have to try that out with my other PC, all the sound gets distorted.
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum