Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Power off Automatically  (Read 952 times)

Offline WhiteDevil

Power off Automatically
« on: August 25, 2003, 20:48 »
hiya guys - ive searched the forum already but i cant find an answer to this problem..

I upgraded windows 98 to windows xp, and now, for some reason the power will not turn off automatically. I get the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen. Is there any setting i need to change?

I have already found a registry hack to sort it, but shouldnt there be another option somewhere  :-\

Cheers for any help..

Adam
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Power off Automatically
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 20:54 »
WD..

Windows 98 and even ME seem to have configured this automatically in the setup but Windows 2000 and XP sometimes don't.

This is a feature of Windows Advanced Power Management and it can be activated. Simply go to the Power Settings section in your Control Panel. Look for an APM tab and select that and then enable APM.

If you do not have an APM section or it cannot be enabled, you may have to upgrade your system BIOS. Consult your PC's manual or manufacturer's Web site for the proper energy management/power control settings to enable APM and Configuration and Power Interface settings.

On some older systems, enabling APM may cause erratic behavior. For example, your computer may reboot instead of shut down. If this occurs, then you will need to disable APM and possibly update your system BIOS if you want this feature to work. Again, consult your vendors Web site for BIOS updates.

Hookstar

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 21:00 »
Might be some hints here  WD.

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 10:01 »
hiya, in the end i just decided to hack about with the registry, sorted out now  ;)

Cheers Hook
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum