Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB 2.0 Problem!  (Read 724 times)

Offline ketamininja

USB 2.0 Problem!
« on: December 17, 2003, 14:45 »
Hi guys.

Merry Crimbo and all the trimmings. Site's got that nice jolly feel... shame this USB problem has me de-festivised.  >:(

Notebook, rather old Pentium specification still running fine.

USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, no manufacturer details (although random install file that seems to do its job).

Card was working fine, USB devices connected were all OK.

Installed a PCMCIA modem (had to disable sound to free up an interupt ARGHHH) and now the USB card can't see USB devices.

Here's the strange thing, if I remove (or simply disable) both:

USB 2.0 USB ROOT HUB DEVICE
NEC PCI TO USB ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER

(in that order), then USB devices come online. I leave my two regular sets of USB OPEN HOST CONTROLLER and USB ROOT HUB as they are.

I presume (although haven't benchmarked) that the enhanced speed is not working of course, so the card is now only regular USB.

Tried various drivers, no joy. could it be something else??/

Thanks guys.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:USB 2.0 Problem!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 14:57 »
You say that you havent got the manufacturers details for the USB card, what does it identify it as when it installed ?
It does sound like a driver issue so maybe if you could identify the USB card and get the correct drivers for it then that may solve your problem.
Obviously somethings conflicting but why  ???

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 15:21 »
Its a standard USB host so that means that it is standard USB drivers tho, doesn't it? USB is a universal architecture isn't it?

Its shown as a PCI device then, using Windows drivers, it detects as standard USB devices, and NEC device (which is ORANGE drivers provided by Intel I beleive).

But get this - when I install the card onto another machine (both runnning Win 98 SE btw) and install the software that came with it, there are no problems. And its still detected as the NEC device etc etc....

strange!

Adept

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 19:11 »
Does the card have an FCC ID on it K?

You can use this to track down the manufacturer and hopefully download some working drivers for the card.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 11:38 »
The machine is gone now, friend was happy with USB 1.1..... oh well. I would still like to find the problem, but since I don't have the notebook anymore, I guess I'll never find out.

It was using the correct drivers and all working originally, then with a MODEM pcmcia card inserted and isntalled, something went wrong.

The drivers I reinstalled were fine with this card on another notebook.

There is mos def something else wrong than drivers... although what I don't know. The PCMCIA drivers looked good too.

Cheers for the suggestions tho  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum