Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: System Hangs  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jaden

System Hangs
« on: December 11, 2003, 14:30 »
Hi Everyone,
I hope someone can help. Recently I bought a new Radeon 9600SE 128MB video card, and installed it, everything seems to be working fine, I went to the website and updated the drivers, I updated the drivers for my motherboard aswell.
The problem is, when I play a music video (.mpeg, .avi etc...) in Winamp or windows media player, or play a MP3... it works fine but halfway through the song or video, or at just random times the video or song hangs on the same note for a few seconds and then resumes play.(it's really annoying) I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. My system specs are:
Athalon 2400+ 2.01
512MB Ram
80GB HD w/65GB free
ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
Thanks so much! :D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re:System Hangs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 14:38 »
Hi Jaden  :welcome:

Sorry I can't help but one of the techies will be along soon and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

As soon as they get up that is, after all it is only 2.30pm hehehehe.

;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Jaden

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 14:46 »
:)
Thanks Michelle!
I hope so. ;) I've been looking through other posts but can't seem to find any realated problems. I have noticed however, that this is a great site! Everyones seems so friendly and helpful! It's a great thing your all doing helping out us less knowledgeable folk :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 14:49 »
Hi Jaden,

Just a thought, but did you also update the drivers for your soundcard?  As Michelle said, hopefully one of the techies will be able to help you later.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Jaden

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 14:57 »
Hi Simon,
Yeah, I re-installed all my soundblaster software at the same time, but I didn't go get the latest drivers yet from the website.
Another thing, that may or may not be realted to my problem.... and it's the weirdest thing, when I turn off my computer, after it shuts down, if I wait about 10 min, my computer boots its self up again... on it own  :o. It only happens every once in awhile but it's really spooky! :)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 15:15 »
Hi Jaden and  :welcome:  wish I could say I was techie that you were waiting for to sort this problem, but alas Im not  :-\  they usually tend to get online around late afternoon and evening so please stick around and join in with us all we are a friendly bunch and dont bite... hard  ;)  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 16:07 »

my computer boots its self up again... on it own  :o. It only happens every once in awhile but it's really spooky! :)

Thats odd, that happens to the computers at work sometimes too!!  So I'd like to see if someone has the answer to that one!  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 16:22 »
Hi Jaden  :welcome:

Can you please tell us what operating system you are using as it will help to solve this problem.. :thumb:

Offline Jaden

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 16:35 »
Hi Camstop,
Oh yeah, I forgot that didn't I?  :)
Windows XP home edition w/ SP1
Thanks!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 19:03 »
Hi Jaden, cant think what to suggest for the sound problem at the moment other than to get the latest drivers for the soundcard.
Possibly check the Virtual Memory as it may be that its not got enough to buffer the file especially if its an mpeg.

The rebooting thing should be a bit easier to sort out hopefully  :)
If you go into BIOS and select Resume after PWR fail ( something like that, cant remember the exact wording), and disable it then I think that will sort it for you  :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 20:19 »
Are you playing from CD/DVD or from the computer harddrive.

It might simply be down to a dodgy drive/disc. Another alternative is indexing of the drive being carried out by XP.

My guess though would be an interrupt sharing issue between the sound and graphics card - check for the latest Bios for your motherboard to see if they have any related fixes.

BTW other causes of machine switch on for no apparent reason :)

1. Bios setting for wake on lan, wake on modem etc. being set and data triggering it. This would then cause the machine to startup.

2. Machine waking on keypress - there were a few machines that had this 'feature' enabled a while ago. Again another Bios setting to check for.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum