Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Black Screen on start up  (Read 709 times)

Offline tower.1963

Black Screen on start up
« on: December 29, 2003, 01:35 »
Evenin all,hope you help with problem I have.Built system from pile of spares MSI MS6119 mobo,P3 550,GeF2-32mb GFX,384mbPC100,10Gb samsung HDD,Asus CDRW,Sony DVDRom,300wPSU generic,Win xp OS.At first all was well,then switched on today and met by black/blank screen.All drives(CD,DVD,HDD)seem to power up,as do case,psu & cpu fans.Have swopped checked monitors and swopped GFX card for 1xAGP Sparkle GFX card,but can`t vouch for it. Suggestions please,I`m thinking dead GFX card and/or motherboard....or is it something else??

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Black Screen on start up
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 01:40 »
Hi "tower.1963" and welcome to Pals  :)
Do you not get any post beeps at all ?
If the CMOS battery is as old as the mobo/cpu then theres a good chance that its the battery.
Try replacing that and clearing the CMOS with the clear CMOS jumper, dont forget to set it back in the normal run position afterwards and try that  :)

Offline tower.1963

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 01:48 »
Thanks Sandra,
Sorry should`ve said,replaced CMOS battery 6 months ago when last used mobo,and no post beeps.But thanks for advice will investigate further tommorrow.
regards tower

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 12:19 »
This sounds like a similar problem to the one I have in this thread, only mine is intermittent.  Have you tried reseating all the components, as was suggested to me?  I don't know if it will work yet, as I haven't been able to get to the machine in question.

Oh, and  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline tower.1963

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 07:41 »
ok,checked battery + reset cmos + reseated all components and guess what...started first go.
many thanks guys(and girls)help very much appreciated.
 tower

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum