Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My Pc's Funcused! It Thinks Its Got An Xp2700?, My pc thinks  (Read 945 times)

Offline FATTYFISHER

Hello! im in need of just a little assistance if you wouldn't mind please folks.  

My MSI KT4av is severely disturbed! For some reason its confused about its processsor. I install an athlon xp2400, my pc jumps for joy convinced i'd bought it an xp2700! I have cleared CMOS to many times to be healthy, tweaked, nipped, tickled..........and soon will probably start hammering!can someone please tell me how?

Many thanks  

Ian
 :'(

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:My Pc's Funcused! It Thinks Its Got An Xp2700?, My pc thi
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 02:46 »
And the problem is? :)

I take it you've checked the standard multiplier/FSBs

XP2400 runs at 2GHz with 15x Multiplier and 266 bus
XP2700 runs at 2.17GHz with 13x Multiplier and 333 bus.

Usual bios trick is to show the actual clock frequency i.e. 133 instead of 266 and 166 instead of 333.

If the multiplier can be changed it may be that you've got an 'unlocked' version of the chip - worrying if you've bought it new though.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline FATTYFISHER

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 02:57 »
YES Very worrying. Ive checked its spec on amd's site and its code is for the correct package as purchased. And yes i know the overclockers out would be pleased with this obvious improvement, but thats not really my bag im affraid. just pure stabillity will keep me happy.........unfortunatley, thats whats missing.

Thanks for the input. Ive just put some more info about this and its blaster worm connection in another forum on page two if your interested.

Thanks

Ian :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 03:06 »
So what multiplier/FSB do you currently have set in your Bios?

Offline FATTYFISHER

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 23:25 »
Hia,

ok after a weekend of tweaking and tickling and countless JBAT1 visits ive finally got it to show as an xp2400, however, at a price! to do it ive had to set my system at 100FSB with a 12.5 multiplier.......go figure! any variation and its back to xp2700 or a visit to the JBAT1 jumper.

Its playing a blinder isnt it!

Any help gratefully recieved folks

Many thanks

Ian

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 00:25 »
Got to ask which chip you purchased - your motherboard manual shows it as not supporting the Thorton variant of the 2400.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=456

How to find chip type:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=amdcpu

Basically if it starts with AXDC you have the Thorton, if it starts AXDA(or something aprt from AXDC you will have the Barton or Thoroughbred core and that should be detected.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum