Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pop ups  (Read 2638 times)

Offline chew

pop ups
« on: March 26, 2004, 00:39 »
I have suddenly been getting loads of pop-up ads even though I had panicware pop-up stopper installed. I then installed Intellistopper also - helped a bit, but not much. Uninstalled both and tried Google toolbar with pop up stopper - still no use.
any suggestions - i don't have a firewall, do you think i need one?
thanks.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:pop ups
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:14 »
Hi Chew and :welcome:
You definately should have a firewall on but that wont affect your popups.
Have you tried altering the settings in your popup stoppers as some have an "aggressive mode", if yours have and you enable that it may help  :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:21 »
Hi Chew.   :welcome:

Why not try a decent web browser?  Opera (my favourite browser) and Mozilla (which has a big following on here)  both stop popups without having to install third party programs.

Offline chew

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:31 »
i've just reinstalled panicware. Neither this nor the google popup stopper have an agressive mode.
The panicware one also stops some links opening (like the link to the 'get more smilies' on this site) but still lets some popup ads open. :'(
can you recommend a firewall?

Offline chew

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 01:34 »
chorleydave - is doing that easy, im not sure i would know how to do it. I'm a bit dim.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:49 »
If you look at the bottom left side of the main page of the forum there are links to some guides, one is for firewalls, there are a couple of free ones in there  :)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 02:21 »
Hi Chew,

The best treatment which will irradicate and heal completely your pc is the program "Spybot". You don't need to break your head with other programs. I'm telling that after similar experience.

Good luck. And enjoy our company in ther this forum.   :)

Oh...sorry.  I just noticed that you have posted a similar problem on another thread. Maybe you've tried what I suggested, but anyway, just this week, the only program which solved my problem was "Spybot". And most propably, my problem was because of "Alexia". Seems you have a different one.   :-X
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 09:12 »
Chew,

Your surfing the web with no firewall is your main problem, it's only a matter of time until your in deep doo doo. Whats deep doo doo, well you'll know when your in it.

hit THIS link

it's a PC security page giving links to seven totally free security programs, install them along with the Mozilla Web browser, and you will have a nice secure PC, plus your pop-up problem will be a thing of the past.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Mustapha Phagg

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 10:08 »
Whatever one you pick DO NOT install freesurfer pop up blocker, it will leave you with over 35 spyware programs on your pc.

Tried it last week and adaware went mad plus they all got past spywareblaster, took ages to get rid of them and the program does not uninstall fully.

A real nasty piece of work that one.
img]http://www.reset.plus.com/toons/Egyptian.gif[/img]

Offline chew

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 15:16 »
Hello again,
Well, here's an update:
- Visited sheilds up - not good
- Installed zone alarm - brilliant
- Visited sheilds up again - everything seems hunky spunky now
- Uninstalled panicware and google pop up stoppers
- Installed free surfer mk II pop up stopper - pop ups seem to have stopped
- Ran Spybot, Hijackthis, Adaware, Cwshredder
- Installed Empty Temp
- Installed Mail Washer
- Installed Mozilla browser and the IE viewer plugin - great

Everything is great except:

- Tried to install AVG anti virus software but i did not receive a serial number via email??

- Rebooted PC but still getting 'Found Hardware Wizard' for Media Audio Controller and two internet connection windows (which keep popping up after I close them - a few minutes later) Zone Alarm asks me now if I want to let 'werule' access the internet - I clicked 'No'(ZA also asks if I want 'sear1 MFC Application' acces the internet - again I clicked 'No')

Thanks for all your help - any ideas on these last few irritations?

Chew ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 15:49 »
Both 'werule' and 'sear1 MFC Application' are trojans.  Ad-Aware is capable of dealing with both of them so I would suggest that you start your computer in safe mode, disable system restore, and run Ad-Aware again.  Remember to enable system restore afterwards!  I can only suggest that you try and re-register with AVG using a different e-mail address.

Offline chew

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 16:18 »
Clive
I dont know how to start my Pc in safe mode - so I printed out how to do it from 'help and support'. The instructions do not make sense, things like 'Please select operating system to start'
does not appear anywhere.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 16:48 »
You have to keep tapping the F8 key (don't hold it down!)as your computer boots up.  Your screen will look a little strange but the Ad-Aware icon will be still there.  It's best to temporarily turn off System Restore as some trojans and viruses are clever enough to use it to re-install themselves.

Offline chew

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 17:09 »
ok clive you're gonna have to be patient with me here!
I hit F8 and it brings me into that black screen (msdos i believe) there are 4 options ,Floppy, cd rom, and two others which i have no clue about - nothing about safe mode - i selected one randomly and my pc started up no differently.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 17:21 »
Don't worry, we have all the patience in the world!  Which operating system are you using chew?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum