Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Can ping internet, but not access websites..  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Ian

Can ping internet, but not access websites..
« on: August 02, 2004, 10:54 »
I can ping the internet, but can't access any websites - IE, Outlook etc all refuse to connect.

I'm using a Belkin wireless router/modem
XP

This computer has connected quite happily before and just stopped quite suddenly. It won't connect even if I use a cable.

Any suggestions? I've already restored to a point where it was working, but still the same problem.

Offline Barra

• Established Member
Re:Can ping internet, but not access websites..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:07 »
You'l have to be patient here Ian. The 'techies' rarely appear before midday.
I must admit Ian that I'm impressed with your skills. As you can't access the internet via modem etc, your telekinetic abilities to get here beggers belief ;D
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 11:39 »
Hi Ian, it sounds like your firewall may be blocking things, can you try connecting when its disabled to confirm if this is the problem  ???

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:48 »
LOL ::)

That's part of the weirdness of this whole situation - ever since I recited some Vedic mantras, my third eye opened, my 3rd DNA strand activated and my pineal gland kicked in - I've become tuned in to the interconnectedness of all things and no longer need a physical interface to access those areas of existence normally excluded from the realm of the 5 default senses.

However, my still terrestially-based friend still has to pay homage to Lord Belkin, Lord Gates et al. and it's on her behalf I'm making these enquiries.

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:56 »
Hi Sandra,

I've disabled the firewall already....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 11:59 »
The only other thing I can think of then Ian is the settings in IE under Tools/Options, but why it should just change itself is a little puzzling  ???

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 13:34 »
I set them all to default - just in case - but no.

Anyway, there's other progs like Mailwasher can't connect either so I don't think it's that.

Keep thinking though! ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 14:03 »
A bit of a shot in the dark Ian as you say you can ping ok, but have you checked that your LAN is enabled in network connections  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 14:12 »
What firewall do you have, Ian?  I only ask, because some of them have a setting, whereby simply disabling the firewall, while running, will block all internet connections by default, as a security measure.  Sygate does this.  To completely eradicate the firewall from blame, try going into it's options, disabling it from starting with Windows, then reboot.  If you can then access the web, it will prove whether your firewall is blocking, or not.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 15:03 »
The pc in question has NIS - but I disabled it from staring with windows when I got the computer - the router has a built-in firewall.

Sandra - it is enabled - it even tells me that the signal strength is excellent.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 15:09 »
You said the signal strength is excellent so I assume you are now trying it on wi fi not ethernet ?
I would concentrate on getting it connected via ethernet first then once thats ok sort the wi fi out as that would only be the encryption to check.

Sorry Ian but I cant think of anything else to suggest or try  :(

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 16:26 »
I've been trying both. It's weird how it's just stopped working.

I'm using the same router (wired) with no problem on my other pc.  >:(

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 17:12 »
It sounds as if the firewall in the router is blocking access to everything bar the Ping from the offending machine. I take it you've tried cycling power on the router - failing that if you connect into it (192.168.0.100 ?) and check the settings there.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 18:20 »
I've powered the router down and back up if that's what you mean.

I can only check the router settings (192.168.2.1) from my working pc - the one in question can't even peep inside (wired or otherwise)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 18:47 »
You should be able to access the router via ethernet on any pc connected to it Ian.
Try right clicking in the LAN connection of the pc thats not working and select the repair option.
Try a different ethernet lead.
Try a different router port.
If all those fail then run the network wizard again.
If you cant access the router itself then its a fault on that pc or its port.
Has anyone been into the bios on that pc and disabled the onboard ethernet port  ???
That wouldnt explain the wi fi side not connecting though but we may get somewhere, especially as the ethernet side should be easier to sort out :doggie:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum