Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New Project II: The Sequal  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
New Project II: The Sequal
« on: September 02, 2003, 12:05 »
Looks like I may be getting another commission, folks!   :D :D

Before I get started on the shopping list, I have a question.  This is going to be a part upgrade, but with mostly new components.  The only old parts I will be using is the CD-Rom, and the Floppy Disc Drive from the old machine.  My question is this:  

I will be putting a CD-RW in the new machine, so I can boot from that to install Windows, but can I get it all up and running, without installing the Floppy Disc Drive, and fit that bit in later?  This would save one trip up to London, so would be worthwhile.  I don't see any reason why I can't do this, but thought I'd check with the experts!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:New Project II: The Sequal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 12:21 »
Expert here, "cough"  ;D

The floppy is just another bit of PC hardware, if it's not there...no problem...when you do pop it in the case...it will be recognised as such ....anything else ? :D

Simon, I've reformated and reinstalled my PC as I noticed after that last PC build, mine had got abit sluggish. And this time I have save an Image of it all nice and 'mint' So next time it gets sluggish it is about 15 mins to have it back zippy again

PS: When the guy picked up his new PC last Friday, he said he had a pal wanted a new PC building as well. I'll give him a ring this weekend after he has settled in with his new machine.  :)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 12:38 »
Well, I should have a definite answer in the next day or two.  Could be the start of another interesting thread!  I had intended to choose Ebuyer as my primary supplier, but I'm not convinced about their delivery times.  I ordered a Digital Camera from them last Friday, under the Three Day Delivery option, which should mean it arrives tomorrow.  Just checked site, and it's still 'Awaiting Shipment'.

But I'm not going to ring them!  I'm not!  I'm not!!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 13:34 »

But I'm not going to ring them!  I'm not!  I'm not!!   ;) ;D ;D

Ring them all you like Simon. They will only tell you by answering machine message to use their "e-note" system to contact them.

Do that and 2 days later you may get a reply ::)

Actually in all fairness, I had to e-note them on Wednesday as I notice my 3-day delivery order still hadn't been despatched 2 days before the deadline. I received an e-note on Friday to say that the item had been shipped the previous evening. And it actually arrived on the Friday!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 14:41 »
Gawd!  Why can't there be a retailer with good prices, who can also give reliable information as to where your goods are?  If I get this upgrade job, I'll be torn between taking a chance with Ebuyer or going back to CCL!

I just hate waiting for stuff - it's well stressful!   :o ::) ;D

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 17:08 »
why not try Overclockers, some of their stuff is expensive (well, most of it is), but they have a good reputation...
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 17:14 »
Because of that word "expensive", WD.   ;)  brings me out in a rash!   ;D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 17:42 »
Simon.. Have you tried Tekheads..Tekheads.

I have found them most reliable and quick..and most of all Cheap

Hookstar

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 18:29 »
Thanks Hook, I'll have a look.  What I'm finding is that wherever I go, there's something that's not available, for whatever reason, so that then means buying from more than one retailer, which in turn bumps up the shipping charges.  

At the moment it's still a toss up between ebuyer and CCL.   ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 23:14 »
I've just put together a new PC for my cousin, and everything is OK, except that the text on screen seems ever so slightly not as sharp as it should be.  It seems that there is a very slight 'ghost' on the right hand edges of all text.  Barely noticable, but noticable all the same.

Any ideas, anyone?

Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
512Mb DDR Memory
Radeon 9200 SE Gphx card

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 23:21 »
Check your refresh rate Simon for the agp card but its more likely to be a monitor problem/adjustment I should think  ???
Unless its a TFT screen then its probably just a crappy TFT screen  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 23:41 »
Unless its a TFT screen then its probably just a crappy TFT screen  :)

It's not the screen, as my PC is perfectly OK plugged into the same screen.  I wondered if it was something to do with the graphics card, but I couldn't find any logical adjustments.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 23:56 »
Play around with the refresh rates then Simon it may help  :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2003, 00:09 »
May I also recommend www.komplett.co.uk for good prices (close to Ebuyer) but excellent service - last order I made was on a Monday at 8pm, got email giving me the DHL tracking number next day at 4pm, items got delivered Wednesday at 15:30. It was interesting to track the items from Oslo too :). From reports on other forms I'm a member of they are very good at handling problems too.

BTW the register story about them and the misprice on the graphics card seems to miss the irony in the email they sent out (hey! they are the people who after a memory misprice 14 months ago sent an email saying they had given the person responsibles parking slot to the cleaner after hang, drawing and quartering them. They had then used his pension as a Xmas bonus for the remaining staff).

BTW2 you definately do not need a floppy drive to install XP - I did it from a CD only system about a month ago.

BTW3 for the ghosting problem - try refresh rate as suggested but also ensure the cable to the monitor is not being interfered with (power cable running next to it?) and also check the windows settings to ensure they don't have the high contrast option set on.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2003, 01:43 »

BTW2 you definately do not need a floppy drive to install XP - I did it from a CD only system about a month ago.

Didnt know you could install from the floppy Dack, I havent done that many XP ones but I have always set the BIOS to boot from cd rom first and installed from CD  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum