Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: please help me...  (Read 1483 times)

Offline OKG

• New Registration
please help me...
« on: February 24, 2004, 12:04 »
Don't really know where to post this..
I need some help.. I've found nothing about the problem at the internet so I try ask here..
I suddently get this mail every time I send a mail to my friend:
-
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

xxxx@hanmail.net
-
Thats when I send from my Hotmail adress, when I send from my Yahoo adress this message shows up:
-
Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<xxxx@hanmail.net>:
xx.xxx.xxx.x does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 relaying denied for <xxxx@hanmail.net>
Giving up on xx.xxx.xxx.x.

--- Original message follows.
-
It is making me so frustrated because this has never happened before, and it is the only way for me to contact my friend.
Anyone know what to do? I can send e-mail to others, but not Hanmail.net adresses, I've thought about maybe the server was overloaded or something, but I have tryed sending a mail for many days now. Anyway, thanks for reading...

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:please help me...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 12:30 »
:welcome:

How do you connect to the internet? through which ISP?

I think the problem is due to not being connected through the correct ISP or not chosing the correct mail server to send mail.

You need to be connected to the same ISP as the send mail address that you are using. So if sending using yahoo, the outgoing mail server should be yahoo related.

Hope I'm right ?! a techie will no doubt be along shortly.

DJ  ;)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 12:59 »
Hello OKG

:welcome:

Not a techie but I just wondered ............

So you have used this address to send to your friend before?

This is what came up techies when I did a google on hanmail.net

Showing web page information for hanmail.net

Daum - 우리 인터넷, Daum
Daum, Daum, Direct, 한메일넷, 카페, 쇼핑, 검색, 뉴스,
금융. 꿈나무 - 메신저 - 부동산 - 폰세상 - 교육 -
미즈넷 ...
Description: No. 1 우리 인터넷. 무료 이메일 서비스, 온라인 쇼핑, 동호회 서비스
Category: World > Korean > 인터넷,WWW > WWW > 웹 포탈

Not sure what that all means so I didn't want to click on the link  

:o
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 13:11 »
Hi OKG,
I assume that you are sending from a network in a large organisation such as a university or a large corporate network ?
It appears to be an anti spam feature used by organisations which prevents their mail servers from spamming people.
See this article :

I'm sending email from another machine on the network and I'm getting "550 Relaying denied" errors.
This is due to the new version of sendmail now being shipped. This contains spam filtering and will block use of the mail server as a mail relay to stop people attempting to send spam via your server. The mail server will only accept email that is destined for somewhere in the outside Internet) from specified machines.
When mail is sent to the server, it checks the identity of the machine sending the mail either by name or IP address. The file /etc/relay-domains contains either partial IP addresses (for instance, 192.168.2 to match all IP addresses from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254) or a domainname. Early NetManagers (and NCManagers from Xemplar) checked by name; modern NetManagers check by IP address. Checking by IP address is much simpler as machines do not need to be given names on the server.

Firstly, check the contents of /etc/relay-domains. If it contains your local domain name (e.g. school), it should be altered to contain a partial IP address as follows:

Determine your local IP address range
Type: rm /etc/relay-domains
Type: joe /etc/relay-domains
Enter the parts of the IP address that are common to all machines on your network (e.g. 192.168.2 if all your machines are 192.168.2.x or 10.3 if all your machines are 10.3.x.y)
Type Ctrl-K followed by X
Reboot (or type: kill -HUP `sed 1q /var/run/sendmail.pid`)
If mail is still not being sent when you are checking by IP address, then the machine you are sending mail from must be external to your network (e.g. on your admin network on a different range of IP addresses). In such a case, edit the /etc/relay-domains file (as above) to add the extra IP address range.

I hope that this helps  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 16:19 »
oooh that sandra is so clever  :o  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 18:45 »
Hi OKG, and  

Sandra will correct me if this isn't right, but in less technical terms, it could be that your friend's mail domain (the @hanmail.net part) is blocking what it thinks is spam, or 'junk' mail.  This could simply be because you are using either Hotmail or Yahoo mail accounts.  Do you have any other e-mail accounts you could use to send mail with, i.e. do you have an e-mail account with your ISP?  If not, there are countless alternative free webmail accounts you can find, by searching Google.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 18:54 »
I dont think its the recipient thats blocking it Simon, I think as DJ said its his SMTP server on his network or ISP thats doing it.
I am only going off what I read when I did a search for that error 550 message so I may be on the wrong track altogether  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 19:14 »
OK, well, we have two theories, so that gives him something to go on.  ;D  Hopefully one of us is right and OKG get's the problem sorted.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 19:17 »
Its the xxx.xxx.xx.xxx bit that is OKGs own IP address that doesnt like the recipient, thats why I think its his server that is bouncing it before it even gets to the recipients pop3  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 19:53 »
And I thought you just did it to make mine look silly  :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 20:07 »

Offline OKG

• New Registration
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 14:14 »
Hehe.. Thanks everyone, I got something to try now :D
I'll try each theory after another ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum