Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: cannot connect 2 pcs  (Read 1436 times)

Offline rolocox

cannot connect 2 pcs
« on: February 27, 2004, 19:53 »
Help - I have connected a laptop to my desktop pc with a crossover cable but cannot get them to recognise each other as workgroup computers. Both are running Windows XP, have run network connection wizard on each and given each computer a seperate name.
They link together to share internet access via the desktop pc but I cannot share files or printer. Get error message when i try to display workgroup computers.

Please help

Adept

Re:cannot connect 2 pcs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 20:07 »
Hi rolocox :welcome:

Can you go into Control Panel | Network and Internet Connections | Network Connections on each PC.

In the window that appears there should be an icon for your network card (usually called "Local Area Connection"). Right click the icon and choose properties.

Do you have an item in the dialog that appears called "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"?

If not, you need to click the Install button and choose it from the list that appears. You will probably need your XP CD at this point.

Hope this helps,

Offline rolocox

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 20:27 »
Thanks

yep I have file and printer sharing shown in the dialog box

what next ?

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 20:31 »
On the same dialog box, on the Advanced tab; is the Internet Connection Firewall enabled?

Offline rolocox

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 20:41 »
Still doesnt work - get error message saying mshome is not accesible and may not have permission from network administrator

Offline rolocox

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 20:54 »
internet firewall on desktop is disabled
Im running norton firewall on laptop
IP address of desktop is 1,1,1,1
IP address of laptop is 1,1,1,2
Ive been able to PING from laptop to desktop but not the other way round - it times out

Offline rolocox

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 21:00 »
Ive now turned off Norton firewall on laptop and been able to ping from desktop to laptop

Still cannot get icons for each computer to show as workgroup computers

Adept

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 10:41 »
I don't think it has anything to do with this problem, but you really should use different IP addresses than the ones you are using. 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 are reserved IP adddresses and could cause conflicts later. Better IPs to use would be something like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 :)

It sounds to me as if Norton Firewall is blocking your network. I haven't used NF before so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but in ZoneAlarm, you would need to define a "local network" zone (e.g. 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.2) before ZA would allow network traffic through. Does NF have a similar facility?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 10:58 »
NF has this, Sean.  Looks like you just put in the IP addresses, but I've obviously not used it myself.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum