Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BSOD  (Read 2147 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
BSOD
« on: March 14, 2004, 20:27 »
Just had my 1st BSOD  :'( on this puter, tonight I was working with Paint and that died and now this shows up, is this a coincidence or is my Hard drive on its way out?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:BSOD
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 20:52 »
Funnily enough I got one today about 30 mins ago.
Think its just an XP thing, have you got automatically restart unticked in system properties/advanced/startup and recovery, after system failure  ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 21:11 »
Isn't that what a famous blonde has been struggling with for weeks?   ::) :o ;D  I haven't had one of those yet, but just recently, I have been getting a lot of Scan Discs at start up.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 22:27 »
Should I be worried though? or is it just one of those things.

And it was within 10 mins of my paint crashing  :-\ should I try a repair or do a system restore and if I do a repair can anybody remember which disc its on (forgotten) its my age you know  ;D

Edit: another age thingy. Sandra, yes I have looked and all the boxes are ticked.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 23:20 »
Untick the last one Hooky, XP tends to restart after a minor hiccup so if you untick it it should help to stop it from doing that.
I wouldnt bother doing a reinstall or a repair or anything else unless it happens again  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 23:29 »
Ok unticked the last one, but my paint still wont work. wondering which disc its on, is it office 2000 or is it on XP Home  :-\

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 23:38 »
Microsoft Paint will be on the XP home one Hooky, nothing to do with office.
Have you not got Paint Shop Pro  ???

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 23:50 »
Yes I have Paintshop pro Sandra but I'm a bit loathe to put it on while I'm having these probs  ???

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 23:59 »
Told you XP was rubbish  :wahh: :wahh: :wahh: :wahh:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 00:18 »
Never suffered a BSOD in 18 months of using W2K, but even XP with the odd BSOD is light years in front of ME   ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 12:33 »
If its ME or XP or 2000 I still have the problem  ???

Adept

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 12:41 »
This MS Knowlegdebase article may help :-\

AFAIK these errors are usually caused by rogue drivers. Have you installed any new drivers recently Hook?

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 15:15 »
0x0000000A: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314063

Most probably a driver issue, yes.
Believe it or not, the SUNs RADIATION can actually cause data in memory to change from a 0 to 1 or vice versa... its possible that it is a one off situation, which does happen!!

Thats the reason servers use what is known as ECC memory, coz this wont happen with that!

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 16:04 »

Isn't that what a famous blonde has been struggling with for weeks?  

Yes Simon I Have struggled with this problem and continue to do so  ::)  I have at least 1-2 BSOD appear every time i turn the PC on  :'( and nobody seems to be able to resolve the problem.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 17:11 »
Since it is happening that often, start the PC up in SAFE MODE a quite a few times... you will have limited functionality, but try to leave it like that and use it to generate a BSOD.

If you can't get the BSOD, then its DEFINITELY a driver that is causing the issue.

you can go to RUN then type in MSCONFIG. Then hit the STARTUP tab. Have a look through here for suspicious items.... or even better, if you hit the GENRAL TAB, and select "SELECTIVE STARTUP" and untick "LOAD STARTUP ITEMS".

Now start using your PC in normal mode -  again your functionality will be limited, but you can then see if it crashes.

If it doesn't crash (hopefully) go to that STARTUP tab again, and add ONE item. Reboot, and try again. Keep repeating this process until you crash out... The last item you ticked before the crash is your culprit!

HTH

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum