Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Headphones with CD ROM  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Headphones with CD ROM
« on: March 20, 2004, 11:17 »
I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm trying to listen to a CD with my CD Rom drive, on headphones.  I thought I could simply plug the headphones into the socket on the front of the drive, but I'm getting no sound.  

I'm also having a problem that the CD contains DVD Rom material, and I can't get Winamp or WMP to play the audio files only.

Any suggestions?  :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Headphones with CD ROM
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 11:58 »
For what it's worth (probably not a lot!) I have a LCD TV in the bedroom which has very poor sound quality and I had the brilliant idea of connecting external speakers to the headphone socket.  When I enquired about the possibility of doing so, I was told that it was a non-starter and that I would need speakers with a built-in amplifier.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 12:44 »

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm trying to listen to a CD with my CD Rom drive, on headphones.  I thought I could simply plug the headphones into the socket on the front of the drive, but I'm getting no sound.  

I'm also having a problem that the CD contains DVD Rom material, and I can't get Winamp or WMP to play the audio files only.

Any suggestions?  :-\

Should work with no problems (Its how I use it in work to listen to music when I'm programming) - You haven't got a volume control on the front of the drive have you?

As to getting winamp etc playing - I find that having the software open and using that to eject the draw usually gets around the problem. Failing that pressing the shift key when you put the disc in the machine.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 16:00 »
Should work with no problems (Its how I use it in work to listen to music when I'm programming) - You haven't got a volume control on the front of the drive have you?

Yes, and I have tried adjusting that.  I have tried both drives, and neither will play through the headphones.  I know the phones are OK, because they work fine through my Hi-Fi.
As to getting winamp etc playing - I find that having the software open and using that to eject the draw usually gets around the problem. Failing that pressing the shift key when you put the disc in the machine.

I've tried all ways to get Winamp to play the audio part of the CD, but all I can seem to get is the 'enhanced' section containing the video.  I can't even get the box to come up when you put the CD in the drive, asking what you want to do - it just automatically launches the video section.  I found the same problem on another CD with a similar 'enhanced' section.  When I right click the 'D' drive and choose Open, I can't even find the audio files!  They are definitely there, as it plays on a normal CD player.  Not that I was trying to copy it, but I'm wondering if there's some clever copy protection on it, which prevents it even being played on a PC?   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 18:17 »
Is the sound leads on the CD drive connected correctly to the mobo internally?

Just a thought!

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 18:22 »
I get sound out of the speakers, so I assume so, DJ.  That wouldn't affect the phones socket on the front of the drive though, would it?   :-\

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 18:35 »
@Simon
I'm not a electrician Simon but the headphone have to be a certain type IE 50 ohms (i think)the sound should be there even if there is no connection with the motherboard

Brian
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 18:43 »
That's what I thought, Brian.  Still don't work though.  :(  I'll have to borrow another set of headphones and try that, but I'm sure I've used these before, with CD Rom drives.  I can hear a click when I plug the phones into the socket, but there's definitely no sound.  Bit of an odd one, this!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 18:49 »
Just a thought Simon, have you got show all files selected on your folder options  ???
The enhanced dvd may not show if its an unknown format and those files are in with the hidden ones ?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 19:15 »
Simon...do you have a handsfree set with your Mobile if you have try them  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 21:35 »
Sandra - yes I did that.   ???

Hook - no I don't have a handsfree kit, but I did find another set of headphones with a Walkman - and they don't work either.   >:(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 22:15 »
Simon, my knowledgeable friends, where I am at the moment reckon that it is a copy protection feature to stop you being able to rip it to MP3 files.
I am reliably informed that there is some software that will sort it out called CDex  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 23:19 »
That's for the one which won't play the audio tracks, yes?  I kind of guessed that might be the case, as I said earlier in the thread.  I still can't get anything to play through the headphones though - not even a bog standard audio CD without any 'enhancements'.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 00:13 »
Yes Simon, apperently you have to use that (FREE)program to rip to the hard drive as mp3s then you can play it back or burn to cd.
Cant think why normal cds wont play though   :(

Adept

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 09:36 »
Simon, when you start the CD playing, do you do it with a button on the CD player itself or with software on the PC? Just a thought, but I wonder whether the headphone socket is switched off when the drive is started with software ???  :-\

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum