Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Script Errors, Unwanted installs etc. etc.  (Read 966 times)

Offline chew

Script Errors, Unwanted installs etc. etc.
« on: March 26, 2004, 01:11 »
every time i turn on my pc my 'connect to internet' window opens. Also when i'm working offline it keeps popping up. When i hit connect it doesn't work. I have to close the window twice and then connect through IE shortcut. This brings up the same window but I've noticed the original window (the pop up one that doesn't work) has a 'P' instead of the IE logo on the blue bit at the top of the window.
I am also continually getting script errors popping up but I have checked in internet options/advanced and this shouldn't be happening.
Next: Every time i turn on my pc i get a 'found new hardware wizard' window for Multimedia Audio Controller appearing. I've tried Cancelling (keeps appearing)and Installing it (cant find the software). I've never even heard of this before and cant find anything to do with it on my pc.
I'm going insane. :curse:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Script Errors, Unwanted installs etc. etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:30 »
Hi again, Chew.

Having read this post, along with your "popups" thread, my first thoughts are that you have some kind of nasty installed.  Have you got AdAware or Spybot S&D installed.  First thing I would do is run them and check for spyware, premium rate dialers etc.  If that doesn't cure at least some of your problems, I'm sure one of our more techie members will be along tomorrow to give advice.  :)

Offline chew

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:37 »
I have Adaware and Spybot and Hijackthis and Cwshredder have ran all of them.
I'll wait for the Techie.
Thanks.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45 »
Which OS are you running and have you got onboard sound or a seperate card ?
If its on board do you know which motherboard it is ?
If its a seperate soundcard do you know which one it is ?
Have you got any yellow ! or ? in your device manager ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 01:47 »
The P in your IE symbol could be your ISPs own browser possibly, which ISP are you with ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 18:52 »
I think most of your spyware issues have been dealt with in the other thread, but it's possible that when you removed some spyware (or something else), it may have corrupted your existing sound card driver, and the Add Hardware thing may well be a case of needing to reinstall your sound card driver from the CD.  If it's a separate sound card, you should have a separate CD, but if it's on board your motherboard, the drivers should be on your motherboard CD.

As Sandra said, check in your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow symbols.  If you want us to tell you where your Device Manager is, you'll have to tell us which operating system you are using (XP, ME, Win2K, Win9x, etc).
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum