Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to.....  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re:Is it possible to.....
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 21:19 »
i still say you could go buy a video card with video in and use the RCA inputs to plug in you playstation, that way you could avoid thoughs peskey tv police.

and if you cant find a video card with RCA in use this

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=124&pid=6553&sid=GGG9VPCB0MJQ9N6CQ0HB236BLS7PE6K0

rca to svideo cord adapter. You can use your regular playstation rca cords to plug into a svideo input on your vid card.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 22:54 »

Just in case you dont know what RCA plugs are, they are called PHONO plugs here in the UK  ;)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2004, 02:24 »

Just in case you dont know what RCA plugs are, they are called PHONO plugs here in the UK  ;)

Evertime i see you post here im reminded of what an amazing mix of hottie and tech you bring to board.

Thanks for educating me on the United Kingdom wording for the RCA adapters Sandra ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 02:41 »
Thanks Bob  :-*

I must admit though that I had to ask what RCA plugs were some years back  ;)

Another example of "Our two nations seperated by a common language"  Bob  ;)

Offline Jaminxz

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2004, 21:33 »
I think these leads to different things to what i'm onabout.

I want to watch television channels on my pc monitor by plugging an ariel into the pc, and also play ps2 on the pc monitor.

I need to do all of this whilst not having a television box set at all.

Is it possible?

(If it's what you previously explained, then this is just me being dumb!)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 21:58 »
from the way i think sandra's explained it, they can find out if your watching tv by scaning for RF signals reflected off your your tv or tv-card, so theres no easy way to watch tv without them knowing about it.

As for playing playstation on the pc, get a video card with S-video in and a "PHONO plug" adapter and you can play playstation on your pc monitor.

i know its not everything you wanted but its a partial solution to your question

There might be a third option if your really wanting to play playstation without a license. Playstation makes monitors for their consoles, i think its so u can play in the car or something, but it probably would be something worth looking into

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 22:19 »
Actually, now that I understand what you are trying to do then you could do as Bob suggests ,if you just wanted to use the PC monitor for playing your PS2 and using with your PC.
If you are hoping to get away with watching TV on your PC to evade the TV licensing fee then you could do that with a TV PCI card, Aldi had some nice ones in stock a couple of weeks back for around £25 but they have probably all gone now, but there are various ones available from less than that to as much as you want to pay up to.
The Aldi card actually had Svid in as well as aerial(antenna for you Bob  ;) ) coax in.
You would still legally require a TV licence to watch TV in this way and I believe that the RF signal being reflected, back out along the coax according to Scrumpy Jack, would be detectable by the nasty TV licence detector people  :(

As far as I know though, the people who come to check to see if you have a licence or a TV receiver in operation have no right of entry unless you invite them in, so you can just say "no I havent got a tv or anything capable of receiving it and you cant come in" and they cant do anything about it as theyhave to visually confirm that the equipment is actually in an unlicensed premises and is being used  :)

Dont take my word as 100% accurate on that but I have heard a lot of discussions about it over the last couple of years on the radio and thats always being said  :)

Offline Jaminxz

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 21:14 »
i think i get it.

At present i have an Nvidia Geforce4mx integrated cpu , what would i need as well as this just the pci card? would i plug an ariel into this??

is this easy to install?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 21:39 »
As long as there is a spare PCI slot you just insert the card and load the drivers and software that would hopefully come with it and then plug the aerial lead into it.
The software should tune the TV channels in for you and you should be able to do as Bob said and use Svid from the PS2 to the Svid in as long as the TV PCI card you get has Svid in or if you have an earial lead out of your PS2 you could use an aerial splitter to connect them both to your PC at once  :)

Adept

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 21:45 »

It sounds cheap, but i'm going to uni in september and i don't want to pay for a tv licence and i can't survive without my ps2!!

Sorry to burst your bubble Jam, but you need a TV licence for a TV card in a PC too  >:(

Offline Jaminxz

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004, 19:25 »
lol!

ah well it's less noticeable than a tv set in your room!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum